Diffuse Deposit (Io)
Diffuse material that mantles underlying materials on Io and is associated with volcanic centers.
Subtypes and Description
Yellow bright diffuse material: circular patches around active vents or irregular patches extending away from vents. Their color is caused by sulfur-bearing particles with a significant SO2 content. Formation of these units is associated with umbrella-like volcanic plumes (Strom and Schneider 1982; McEwen and Soderblom 1983) (Figs. 1 and 2).
Red diffuse material. These units occur as either asymmetrical deposits on one side of vents (e.g., Malik Patera) or as large circular rings around vents (e.g., Pele) ( Eruptive center (Io)). Where exposed, they are ephemeral features. These deposits are thought to be composed of fragmental volcanic deposits rich in metastable sulfur polymers or sulfur-bearing chlorides which color the bright and transparent material (e.g., SO2) (Strom and Schneider 1982; McEwen...
- Davies AG, LP Keszthelyi, DA Williams, CB Phillips, AS McEwen, RM Lopes, WD Smythe, LW Kamp, LA Soderblom, RW Carlson (2001) Thermal signature, eruption style and eruption evolution at Pele and Pillan on Io. J Geophys Res 106 E12:33,079-33,104Google Scholar
- Keszthelyi L, McEwen AS, Phillips CB, Milazzo M, Geissler P, Turtle EP, Radebaugh J, Williams DA, Simonelli DP, Breneman HH, Klaasen KP, Levanas G, Denk T, the Galileo SSI Team (2001) Imaging of volcanic activity on Jupiter’s moon Io by Galileo during the Galileo Europa Mission and the Galileo Millennium Mission. J Geophys Res 106(E12):33,025–33,052CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kieffer SW (1982) Dynamics and thermodynamics of volcanic eruptions: implications for the plumes on Io. In: Morrison D (ed) Satellites of Jupiter. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, pp 647–723Google Scholar
- Leone G, Davies AG, Wilson L, Williams DA, Keszthelyi LP, Jaeger WL, Turtle EP (2009) Volcanic history, geologic analysis and map of the Prometheus Patera region on Io. Icarus 187:93–105Google Scholar
- Strom RG, Schneider NM (1982) Volcanic eruption plumes on Io. In: Morrison D (ed) Satellites of Jupiter. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, pp 598–633Google Scholar
- Williams DA, Davies AG, Keszthelyi LP, Greeley R (2001) The Summer 1997 eruption at Pillan Patera on Io: implications for ultrabasic lava flow emplacement, J Geophys Res, 106 E12:33,105–33,120Google Scholar
- Williams DA, Keszthelyi LP, Schenk PM, Milazzo MP, Lopes RMC, Rathbun JA, Greeley R (2005) The Zamama–Thor region of Io: insights from a synthesis of mapping, topography, and Galileo spacecraft data. Icarus 177:69–88Google Scholar
- Williams DA, Keszthelyi LP, Crown DA, Yff JA, Jaeger WL, Schenk PM, Geissler PE, Becker TL (2011) Geologic map of Io: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3168, scale 1:15,000,000, 25 p. Available at http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3168/