Sedimentary Rocks (Mars)
Lithified deposits on Mars interpreted to be of sedimentary origin.
Layered/stratified sedimentary deposits; Lithified/indurated sedimentary deposits
“Sedimentary” refers to deposition and accumulation of loose particles originated locally or transported from a greater distance or minerals precipitated from solution.
Inferred sedimentary rocks on Mars distinctive in their stratification, depositional morphology, mineral composition, tone/albedo variations, and thermal inertia (Grotzinger and Milliken 2012).
Underfilled basins.“Topographic depressions created by tectonic extension, subterranean collapse, or impact events [that] have acted as significant sediment traps.” These locations experienced limited sediment accumulation such that sediments or...
- Beyer R, Stack K, Griffes K, Milliken R, Herkenhoff K, Byrne S, Holt JW, Grotzinger J (2012) An atlas of Mars sedimentary rocks as seen by HiRISE. In: Grotzinger JP, Milliken RE (eds) Sedimentary geology of Mars, vol 102, SEPM Special Publication. SEPM, Tulsa, pp 49–97Google Scholar
- Bridges NT, Muhs DR (2012) Duststones on Mars: source, transport, deposition, and erosion. In: Grotzinger JP, Milliken RE (eds) Sedimentary geology of Mars, vol 102, SEPM Special Publication. SEPM, Tulsa, pp 169–183Google Scholar
- Carpenter AH (1948) Principles of historical geology applied to neighboring planets and life on Mars. Pop Astron 56:233–246Google Scholar
- Ehlmann BL, Mustard JF, Swayze G, Clark RN, Bishop JL, Poulet F, Des Marais DJ, Roach LH, Milliken RE, Wray JJ, Barnouin-Jha O, Murchie S (2009) Identification of hydrated silicate minerals on Mars using MRO-CRISM: geologic context near Nili Fossae and implications for aqueous alteration. J Geophys Res 114:E00D08Google Scholar
- Grotzinger JP, Milliken RE (2012) The sedimentary rock record of mars: distribution, origins, and global stratigraphy. In: Grotzinger JP, Milliken RE (eds) Sedimentary geology of Mars, vol 102, SEPM Special Publication. SEPM, Tulsa, pp 1–48Google Scholar
- Lucchitta BK (1990) Young volcanic deposits in the Valles Marineris Mars: Icarus. 86:476–509Google Scholar
- Scott DH, Tanaka KL (1986) Geologic map of the Western Equatorial Region of Mars, scale 1:15,000,000, U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigations Series, Map I-1802-A. U.S. Geological Survey, RestonGoogle Scholar
- Squyres SW, Grotzinger JP, Arvidson RE, Bell JF, Calvin W, Christensen PR, Clark BC, Crisp JA, Farrand WH, Herkenhoff KE, Johnson JR, Klingelhofer G, Knoll AH, McLennan SM, McSween HY, Morris RV, Rice JW, Rieder R, Soderblom LA (2004) In situ evidence for an ancient aqueous environment at Meridiani Planum, Mars. Science 306:1709–1714CrossRefGoogle Scholar