Small Volcano (Venus)
Volcano of less than 20 km in diameter on Venus (Head et al. 1992).
Typically shield-shaped, radar-smooth or rough, 0.5–20 km diameter quasi-circular to circular edifices with or without a summit pit (e.g., Hansen 2005).
Small volcanoes studied by Kreslavsky and Head (1999) are 1–19 km high (average, 3–5 km) and 24–1,242 m high (average, 110–200 m).
Small volcanoes occur in a variety of geologic and stratigraphic settings on Venus.
In the equilibrium (nondirectional) resurfacing model, small volcanoes represent a...
- Addington EA (2001) A Stratigraphic study of small volcano clusters on Venus. Icarus 149:16–36Google Scholar
- Aubele JC (1993) Venus small volcano classification and description. Lunar Planet Sci Conf XXIV:47–48, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Barsukov VL, Basilevsky AT, Kuzmin RO, Pronin RO et al (1984) Geology of Venus from the results of analysis of radar images taken by Venera 15 and 16 probes: preliminary data. Geokhimica 12:1811–1820Google Scholar
- Barsukov VL et al. (1986) The geology and geomorphology of the Venus surface as revealed by the radar images obtained by Veneras 15 and 16. Lunar Planet Sci XVI in J Geophys Res 91(B4):D378–D398Google Scholar
- Basilevsky AT, Head JW (1998) The geologic history of Venus: a stratigraphic view. J Geophys Res 103(E4):8531–8544Google Scholar
- Burl MC, Fayyad UM, Perona P, Smyth P, Burl MP (1993) A trainable tool for finding small Volcanoes in SAR imagery of Venus. CNS TR-34, California Institute of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- Crumpler LS, Aubele JC, Senske DA, Keddie SW, Magee K, Head JW (1997) Volcanoes and centers of Volcanism on Venus. In: Bougher SW et al (ed) Venus II. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, pp 697–756Google Scholar
- Slyuta EN, Nikolaeva OV, Kreslavsky MA (1988) Distribution of small domes on Venus: Venera 15/16 Radar Data. Lunar Planet Sci Conf XIX:1097–1098, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Wiles CR, Forshaw MRB (1992) Automated detection and measurements of small Volcanoes on Venus. Lunar Planet Sci Conf XXIII:1527–1528, HoustonGoogle Scholar