ҁAbbās Wasīm Efendi
BornBursa, (Turkey), 1689
DiedIstanbul, (Turkey), 1760
ҁAbbās Wasīm Efendi was a scholar who made many valuable contributions to Ottoman astronomy. These included writing a Turkish commentary on the famous astronomical handbook (Zīj) of Ulugh Beg as well as translating ҁAbd al-ҁAlī al-Bīrjandī’s work on solar and lunar eclipses into Turkish. In addition to being an astronomer, he was a physician, a calligrapher, and a poet; he was also a member of the Khalwatiyya and Qādiriyya religious orders. Besides knowing Turkish, ҁAbbās Wasīm Efendi knew a number of languages that included Arabic, Persian, Latin, French, and ancient Greek.
ҁAbbās Wasīm Efendi, whose father’s name was ҁAbd al-Raḥmān and whose grandfather’s name was ҁAbdallāh, was known as Kambur (Humpback) Vesim Efendi and as Dervish ҁAbbās Ṭabīb. He pursued his education with eminent scholars; apparently his teachers appreciated his cleverness, aptitude, and open-minded attitude. His studies and research took him to Damascus,...
- Adıvar, A. Adnan (1982). Osmanlı Türklerinde İlim. Istanbul: Remzi Kitabevi, pp. 187–197.Google Scholar
- Ahmet Cevdet Paşa (1892). Tarih-i Cevdet. Vol. 7, p. 98. Istanbul: Matbaa-i Osmaniye.Google Scholar
- Akıncı, Sırrı (1961). “Hekim Abbas Efendi.” Istanbul Tıp Fakultesi Mecmuası 24: 695–700, (Istanbul Üniversitesi).Google Scholar
- Baltaci, Cahit (1989). “Abbas Vesim Efendi.” In Diyanet İslâm Ansiklopedisi. Vol. 1, pp. 29–30. Istanbul: Türkiye Diyanet Vakfı.Google Scholar
- Bursalı, Mehmed Mahir (1923). Osmanlı Müellifleri. Vol. 3, pp 242–243. Istanbul: Matbaa-i Âmire, 1342 H.Google Scholar
- İzgi, Cevat (1997). Osmanlı Medreselerinde İlim. Vol. 1, p. 419; Vol. 2, pp. 35–38. Istanbul: İz Yayıncılık.Google Scholar
- Kurdoğlu, Veli Behçet (1967). Şâir Tabîbler. Istanbul: İstanbul Fetih Derneği, pp. 203–206.Google Scholar
- Müstakimzade Süleyman Sadeddin (1928). Tuhfe-yi Hattatin. Istanbul: Türk Tarih Encümeni, pp. 668–669.Google Scholar
- Şevki, Osman (1925). Beş Buçuk Asırlık Türk Tababeti Tarihi. Istanbul: Matbaa-i Âmire, pp. 169–170.Google Scholar
- Uzunçarşılı, İsmail Hakkı (1988). Osmanlı Tarihi. Vol. 4, pt. 2, pp. 530–531. Ankara: Türk Tarih Kurumu.Google Scholar