- 237 Downloads
Granularity concerns the ability to represent and operate on different levels of detail in data, information, and knowledge that are located at their appropriate level. The entities are described relative to that level, which may be more coarse-grained or concern fine-grained details. Devising these ordered levels of granularity in a granular perspective are either determined by the laws of nature or are a resultant of human cognition to divide the data, information, or knowledge.
Multiscale analysis of biological systems, such as in metagenomics, requires one to traverse from the molecular level of detail, to cells, bacterial communities, up to micro- and macro-environments and habitats. Longer established disciplines, such as plant and animal taxonomy, categorize specimens in the tree that contains more (Genus-level) or less (e.g., Family-level) details. That biology concerns different levels of detail and hierarchical systems has been noted...
- Bittner T, Smith B (2003) A theory of granular partitions. In: Duckham M, Goodchild MF, Worboys MF (eds) Foundations of geographic information science. Taylor & Francis, London, pp 117–151Google Scholar
- Euzenat J, Montanari A (2005) Time granularity. In: Fisher M, Gabbay D, Vila L (eds) Handbook of temporal reasoning in artificial intelligence. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 59–118Google Scholar
- Keet CM (2008) A Formal theory of granularity. Ph.D. Thesis, KRDB Research Centre, Faculty of Computer Science, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Salthe SN (1985) Evolving hierarchical systems – their structure and representation. Columbia University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Salthe SN (2001) Summary of the Principles of Hierarchy Theory. http://www.nbi.dk/natphil/salthe/hierarchy_th.html. Accessed 10 October 2005.
- Yao YY (2005) Perspectives of granular computing. IEEE Conf Granul Comput (GrC2005) 1:85–90Google Scholar
- Yao JT (ed) (2010) Novel developments in granular computing: applications for advanced human reasoning and soft computation. IGI Global, HersheyGoogle Scholar