World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) defines occupational therapy as a “client-centered health profession concerned with promoting health and well being through occupation. The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enable people to participate in the activities of everyday life. Occupational therapists achieve this outcome by working with people and communities to enhance their ability to engage in the occupations they want to, need to, or are expected to do, or by modifying the occupation or the environment to better support their occupational engagement” (World Federation of Occupational Therapists [WFOT], 2010, para. 1)
Occupational therapy, founded in 1917, has become a well-established profession within the areas of health and rehabilitation with over 60 member countries in...
References and Readings
- Carey, L. M., & Baum, C. (2011). Occupational therapy. In N. P. Azari (Ed.), Encyclopaedia of sciences and religions. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Christiansen, C., Baum, C. M., & Bass-Haugen, J. (2005). Occupational therapy: Performance, participation, and well-being (3rd ed.). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.Google Scholar
- Hasselkus, B. (2002). The meaning of everyday occupation. Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.Google Scholar
- Kielhofner, G. (2004). Conceptual foundations of occupational therapy (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis. Authoritative texts on occupational therapy.Google Scholar
- Law, M. C., Baum, C. M., & Dunn, W. (2005). Measuring occupational performance: Supporting best practice in occupational therapy (2nd ed.). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.Google Scholar
- Söderback, I. (Ed.). (2009). International handbook of occupational therapy interventions (1st ed., Vol. 1). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Townsend, E., & Polatajko, H. (2007). Enabling occupation II: Advancing an occupational therapy vision for health, well-being, & justice through occupation. Ottawa, Canada: CAOT Publications ACE. Authoritative texts on occupational therapy.Google Scholar
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists. (2010).What is occupational therapy? Retrieved from http://www.wfot.org/information.asp (accessed May 5, 2011).