Y-90 Radiomicrosphere Therapy of Colorectal Cancer: Liver Metastases
Our objective is to discuss the basic concepts involved in the development of yttrium-90 (Y-90) microsphere selective internal radiation treatment (SIRT) and review the clinical data pertaining to its application in hepatic colorectal cancer metastases. Selective internal radiation treatment is a promising new modality in the treatment of patients with hepatic colorectal cancer metastases as part of a multimodality approach. A chemoselective internal radiation treatment neoadjuvant approach has the potential to improve therapeutic outcomes. Clinical studies in neoadjuvant and salvage settings are needed for more concrete outcome data and design of optimal multimodality treatment strategies. This chapter will discuss the principles of Y-90 therapy, pretreatment evaluation of patients including various imaging techniques, treatment technique studies, and potential complications of radiomicrosphere therapy. It will also review studies previously done in the field of radiomicrosphere therapy.
KeywordsPortal Vein Embolization Future Liver Remnant Radiation Pneumonitis Resin Microsphere Salvage Setting
- 6.Van HG, et al. Selective internal radiation therapy (RMT) plus systemic chemotherapy with irinotecan. A phase I dose escalation study. ASCO GI Symposium 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Van HG, et al. Selective internal radiation therapy (RMT) plus systemic chemotherapy with oxaliplatin, 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin: a phase I dose escalation study. ASCO GI Symposium 2005.Google Scholar
- 8.Gulec SA, Pennington K, Bruetman D, et al. Yttrium 90 microsphere selective internal radiation therapy with chemo therapy (chemo-SIRT) for colorectal cancer liver metastases; a phase II trial. (Manuscript Submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 10.Ricke J, Rühl R, Seidensticker M, et al. Extensive liver-dominant colorectal (CRC) metastases failing multiple lines of systemic chemotherapy treated by 90Y Radioembolisation: a matched-pair analysis. Poster presentation, 11th World Congress of Gastrointestinal Cancer. Ann Oncol. 2009;20(Suppl 6:vi24):Abs. PD-002.Google Scholar
- 14.Gulec SA, Pennington K, Hall M, Fong Y. Preoperative Y-90 microsphere selective internal radiation treatment for tumor downsizing and future liver remnant recruitment: a novel approach to improving the safety of major hepatic resections. World J Surg Oncol. 2009;7:6.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar