Florence Charter on Historic Gardens (1982)
The 1982 ICOMOS Florence Charter on Historic Gardens (Florence Charter) was developed at a meeting of the members of the ICOMOS IFLA International Committee for Historic Gardens (now known as the ICOMOS IFLA International Scientific Committee on Cultural Landscapes) in Florence on 21 May 1981. The Florence Charter, a document addressing a specific field of garden preservation within preservation of historic resources, was registered by the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) as an addendum to the Venice Charter on 15 December 1982. The drafting and acceptance of this charter as an addition to guiding documents in the preservation of cultural heritage signaled an enlargement of the realm of preservation from consideration of significant architecture and monuments to include historic gardens and parks in a range of sizes, which may be associated with a building or a property important for a significant landscape. The Florence Charter ushered in the...
- O’Donnell, P. M., G. W. De Vries & S. LeVaun Graulty. 2012. Twenty years of world heritage cultural landscapes 1992 to 2012. Poster presentation, IFLA 49th World Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, September 2012.Google Scholar
- Pechère, R. 2011. Memorandum on the origins of IFLA, and the International Committee of Gardens and Historic Sites ICOMOS-IFLA. Typescript, in Comité Scientifique International de Paysages Culturels - International Scientific Committee on Cultural Landscapes ICOMOS-, Chateau Royal de Fontainebleau, 1971-2011: 7.Google Scholar
- UNESCO Culture Sector. 2011. UNESCO recommendation on the historic urban landscape (approved November 2011). Available at: http://whc.unesco.org/en/activities/638.
- UNESCO World Heritage. 2012. World heritage operational guidelines; Cultural landscape definitions. Available at: http://whc.unesco.org/en/guidelines/.
- US ICOMOS & P. O’Donnell. 2004. Natchitoches Declaration on Heritage Landscapes. 27 March 2004, Natchitoches, LA, US ICOMOS 7th International Symposium: learning from world heritage: lessons from international preservation & stewardship of cultural & ecological landscapes of global significance. Available at: http://www.usicomos.org/natchitoches-declaration.
- Bandarin, F. & R. van Oers. 2012. The historic urban landscape: managing heritage in an urban century. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.Google Scholar
- O’Donnell, P. 2004. Learning from world heritage: lessons from international preservation & stewardship of cultural & ecological landscapes of global significance. George Wright Society FORUM 21(2): 41–61.Google Scholar