The unicellular cyanobacterial genus Chroococcidiopsis was first described by Geitler (1933) from Sumatra, where it was found in warm springs.
The cyanobacterial genus Chroococcidiopsis is defined as having more or less spherical cells surrounded by a thin, firm, colorless, sometimes layered extra-cellular polysaccharide sheath (EPS). The cell has an S-layer of a special ribbon-like type, not found in other cyanobacteria so far (Büdel and Rhiel, 1985). It often occurs in large agglomerations of spherical or irregular shape. Fully grown cells (usually 2–6 μm in diameter) divide in two modes: (1) after one or two binary divisions with planes rectangular to each other, resulting daughter cells continue to divide in different planes without intermediate growth (successive multiple divisions); (2) by successive or almost spontaneous irregular cell division (multiple fission) without intermediate growth. In both types, the final daughter cells are very small (1–3 μm in diameter)...
KeywordsDaughter Cell Silicate Rock Rock Weathering Filamentous Cyanobacterium Warm Spring
- Büdel, B., and Rhiel, E., 1985. A new cell wall structure in a symbiotic and a free-living strain of the blue-green alga genus Chroococcidiopsis (Pleurocapsales). Archiv für Mikrobiologie, 143, 117–121Google Scholar
- Büdel, B., Weber, B., Kühl, M., Pfanz, H., Sültemeyer, D., and Wessels, D. C. J., 2004. Reshaping of sandstone surfaces by cryptoendolithic cyanobacteria: bioalkalization causes chemical weathering in arid landscapes. Geobiology, 2, 261–268Google Scholar
- Fewer, D., Friedl, T., and Büdel, B., 2002. Chroococcidiopsis and heterocyst-differentiating cyanobacteria are each others’s closest living relatives. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 41, 498–506Google Scholar
- Geitler, L., 1933. Diagnosen neuer Blaualgen von den Sunda-Inseln. Archiv für Hydrobiologie, 4(Supplement 12 Tropische Binnengewässer), 622–634Google Scholar
- Komárek, J., and Anagnostidis, K., 1998. Cyanoprokaryota 1. Teil Chroococcales. Jena: Gustav Fischer.Google Scholar