Paṇḍita Jagannātha (1652–1744), who bore the title “Samrāṭ”, writer on astronomy and mathematics, and designer of astronomical instruments, was the religious preceptor and collaborator in astronomical pursuits of Jai Singh Sawai (1688–1744), the astronomer‐prince of Jaipur in Rajasthan. Born into a Vedic family, the son of Gaṇeśa, Jagannātha was attached to the court of Jai Singh from an early age and assisted his patron in all his social, religious, and scientific activities.
At Jai Singh's behest, Jagannātha mastered Arabic and Persian, the two foreign languages prevalent in the Mughal court, which he utilized in the study of Islamic astronomy and put to beneficial use translating into Sanskrit texts in those languages for his patron. In this way, Jagannātha produced his Rekhāgaṇita and Siddhāntasārakaustubha, which are translations of Euclid's Elements of Geometry and Ptolemy's Almagest, respectively, from their Arabic versions by Naṣīr al‐Dīn al‐ṭūsī. It is interesting that in the...
- Pingree, David. 1981. Census of the Exact Sciences in Sanskrit. Series A, Vol. 3. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society, 86–8; Vol. 4, p. 95.Google Scholar
- The Rekhāgaiṇta or Geometry in Sanskrit composed by Samrāṭ Jagannātha. Ed. K. P. Trivedi. Bombay: Nirnaya Sagar Press, 1901.Google Scholar
- Samrāṭ–siddhānta. Ed. Ram Swarup Sharma. New Delhi: Indian Institute of Astronomical and Sanskrit Research, 1967.Google Scholar
- Sharma, M. L. Jagannāth Samrāṭ's Outstanding Contribution to Indian Astronomy in Eighteenth Century AD. Indian Journal of History of Science 17.2 (1982): 244–51.Google Scholar
- Sharma, Virendra Nath. Sawai Jai Singh's Hindu Astronomers. Indian Journal of History of Science 28.2 (1993): 131–55.Google Scholar
- Siddhāntasamrāṭ of Jagannāthasamrāṭ. Ed. Muralidhar Chaturveda. Sagar: Samskrita Parishat, Saugar University, 1976.Google Scholar
- Upadhyaya, B. L. Prācīna Bhāratīya Gaṇita. New Delhi: Vijnana Bharati, 1971.Google Scholar
- Yantraprakāra of Sawai Jai Singh. Ed. and Trans. S. R. Sarma. New Delhi: Department of History of Medicine and Science, Jamia Hamdard, 1987.Google Scholar