Taqī al‐Dīn, Muḥammad al‐Rāṣid ibn Ma˓rūf, was a mathematician and astronomer. He was born in Damascus in 1521 and died in about 1585. He wrote several books on mathematics, astronomy, optics, and theology.
The most important of his books are: Jabr wa'l‐Muqābala (Algebra), Bughyat al‐Ṭullāb min ˓ilm al‐Ḥisāb (The Desire of Students for Arithmetic), Sidrat al‐Muntahā fī al‐Afkār (The Nabk Tree of the Extremity of Thoughts), and Ālāt‐i Raṣdīya li Zīj‐i Shāhinshāhīya (Observational Instruments of the Emperor's Catalogue), Al‐Kawākib al‐Durrīya fī Bengamāt al‐Dawrīya (The Brightest Stars for the Construction of Mechanical Clocks).
From the point of view of the history of Ottoman science, the most important event of the sixteenth century was the foundation of the Istanbul Observatory, which Taqī founded under the sponsorship of Murād III (1574–1595). This observatory was an elaborate building which contained dwelling places, a library, and offices for the astronomers. It was conceived as...
- Brusa, Giuseppe and John H. Leopold. The Vertical Stackfreed: Mechanical Evidence and Early Eye‐Witnesses. Nuncius, 1997. 411–26.Google Scholar
- Sayılı, Aydın. Ala ad Dīn al Mansûr's Poems on the Istanbul Observatory. Belleten 20 (1956): 429–84.Google Scholar
- Sayılı, Aydın. The Observatory in Islam. Ankara: Publications of the Turkish Historical Society, 1960.Google Scholar
- Tekeli, Sevim. Nasirüddin, Takiyüddin ve Tycho Brahe'nin Rasad Aletlerinin Mukayesesi. Ankara Üniversitesi, Dil ve Tarih‐Coğrafya Fakültesi Dergisi 16.3–4 (1958): 301–93.Google Scholar
- Tekeli, Sevim. Solar Parameters and Certain Observational Methods of Taqī al Dīn and Tycho Brahe. Ithaca‐26 VIII‐2, IX. Vol. 2. Paris: Hermann, 1962. 623–6.Google Scholar
- Tekeli, Sevim. 16. Asirda Osmanlilarda Saat ve Takiyüddin’ in ‘Mekanik Saat Konstrüksüyonuna Dair En Parlak Yildizlar’ adli Eseri (The Clock in the Ottoman Empire in the Sixteenth Century and Taqī al Dīn's ‘The Brightest Stars For the Construction of the Mechanical Clocks’). Ankara: Ankara Üniversitesi Basimevi, 1966.Google Scholar
- Tekeli, Sevim. Al‐Urdī'nin ‘Risalet ün fi Keyfiyet il‐Ersâd’ adli Makalesi, “The Article on the Quality of the Observations” of Al‐Urdī. Arastirma 8 (1970): 1–169.Google Scholar
- Ünver, Süheyl. Istanbul Rasathanesi. Ankara: Publications of the Turkish Historical Society, 1969.Google Scholar
- Vania Proverbio, Delio. Opere Scientifiche Di Taqi Ad‐Din Muh?ammad Ibn Ma'Ruf Nel Fondo Arabo Della Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana: Il Trattato “Rayh?anat Ar‐Rudh Fi Rasm as‐Sa'at”. Miscellanea Marciana, 1997.Google Scholar