Base isolation (device). A device used to isolate structures from earthquake motions.
Beam. Horizontal structural element that usually supports the floor or roof slab system.
Bracing element. Structural element that provides lateral support to increase stiffness and reduce deformations, while strengthening the structure.
Column. Vertical structural element that supports the attached beams while transferring loads to foundation.
Confinement. Containment of compression concrete in a properly designed steel cage of a structural element for improved strength and inelastic deformability.
Damping. Any effect that gradually reduces vibration amplitude or motion.
Damper. A device that introduces damping.
Drift. Horizontal displacement of a building, storey level, or vertical element divided by the respective height.
Ductility. Ability to deform in the inelastic range of deformations without a significant loss of strength.
Energy dissipation (device or mechanism). A device or...
- Akbay, Z., and Aktan, H. M., 1991. Actively regulated friction slip devices. In Proceedings of 6th Canadian Conference of Earthquake Engineering, pp. 367–374.Google Scholar
- Alcocer, S., and Jirsa, J., 1993. Strength of reinforced concrete frame connections rehabilitated by Jacketing. ACI Structural Journal, 90(3), 249–261.Google Scholar
- Beres, A., El-Borgi, S., White, R., and Gergely, P., 1992. Experimental Results of Repaired and Retrofitted Beam-Column Joint Tests in Lightly Reinforced Concrete Frame Buildings. NCEER Report No. NCEER-92-0025.Google Scholar
- Bertero, V. V., 2010. Seismic Upgrading of Existing Buildings. www.funvisis.gob.ve/archivos/www/terremoto/Papers/Doc028/doc028.htm.
- Binici, B., and Bayrak, O., 2008. FRP retrofitting of two-way slabs. FIP Bulletin 35: retrofitting of concrete structures by externally bonded FRPs, pp. 89–108.Google Scholar
- Caron, F., 2010. Repair and Retrofit of Non-Ductile Reinforced Concrete Frames with Diagonal Steel Compression Struts. M.A.Sc. Thesis, Ottawa, Canada, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Chai, Y. H., Priestley, M. J. N., and Seible, F., 1991. Seismic retrofit of circular bridge columns for enhanced flexural performance. ACI Structural Journal, 88, 572–584.Google Scholar
- Cherry, S., 1994. Research on friction damping at the University of British Columbia. In Proceedings of International Workshop on Structural Control, pp. 84–91.Google Scholar
- Civjan, S. A., Engelhardt, M. D., and Gross, J. L., 2000. Experimental program and proposed design method for the retrofit of steel moment connections. In Proceedings of 12WCEE, Paper 257.Google Scholar
- Corazao, M., and Durrani, A., 1989. Repair and Strengthening of Beam-to-Column Connections Subjected to Earthquake Loading. NCEER Report No. NCEER-89-13.Google Scholar
- DIS (Dynamic Isolation Systems), 2010. www.dis-inc.com.
- Dowdell, D. J., and Cherry, S., 1994. Structural control using semiactive friction dampers. In Proceedings of First World Conference on Structural Control, Los Angeles, CA, pp. 59–68.Google Scholar
- Elnabelsy, G., and Saatcioglu, M., 2004. Design of FRP Jackets for seismic retrofit of circular concrete columns. Emirates Journal for Engineering Research, 9(2), 65–69. Published by United Arab Emirates University.Google Scholar
- Elnashai, A. S., and Salama, A. I., 1992. Selective Repair and Retrofitting Techniques for RC Structures in Seismic Regions. Research Report ESEE/92-2, Engineering Seismology and Earthquake Engineering Section, Imperial College, London.Google Scholar
- EMKE, 2010. www.emke.com.tr/products.php.
- Engelhardt, M. D., Winneberger, T., Zekany, A. J., and Potyraj, T. J., 1996. The dogbone connection: part II. Modern Steel Construction, 36, 46–55.Google Scholar
- Feng, Q., and Shinozuka, M., 1990. Use of a variable damper for hybrid control of bridge response under earthquake. In Proceedings of U.S. National Workshop on Structural Control Research. USC Publication No. CE-9013, pp. 107–112.Google Scholar
- Ghobarah, A., and Said, A., 2001. Seismic rehabilitation of beam–column joints using FRP laminates. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 15(1), 113–129.Google Scholar
- Iacobucci, R. D., Sheikh, S. A., and Bayrak, O., 2002. Retrofit of square concrete columns with carbon fibre-reinforced polymer for seismic resistance. ACI Structural Journal, 100(6), 785–794.Google Scholar
- IST Group, 2010. www.web.mit.edu/istgroup/ist/documents/earthquake/Part5.pdf.
- Mosalam, A., 2002. Structural Evaluation of SCCI-FRP Composite Systems (Tuflam) for Flexure Repair and Upgrade of Reinforced Concrete Floor Slabs, Slabs-on-Grade, and Out-of-Plane RC Walls. Fullerton, California State University. Test Report No. SRRS-SCCI, 79 p.Google Scholar
- Mosalam, K. M., 2008. Seismic retrofitting of RC beam-column joints using FRP. FIP Bulletin 35: retrofitting of concrete structures by externally bonded FRPs, pp. 143–166.Google Scholar
- Murthy, C. V. R., 2010. How to Reduce Earthquake Effects on Buildings. New Delhi, India: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, BMTPC.Google Scholar
- Pantelides, C. P., and Gergely, J., 2008. Seismic retrofit of reinforced concrete beam-column T-joints in bridge piers with FRP composite jackets. SP258-1, ACI Special Publication on Seismic Strengthening of Concrete Buildings using FRP Composites.Google Scholar
- Pincheira, J. A., and Jirsa, J. O., 1992. Post-tensioned bracing for seismic retrofit of RC frames. In Proceedings of the Tenth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Madrid, Spain, Vol. 9, pp. 5199–5204.Google Scholar
- Priestley, M. J. N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y., and Venna, R., 1994a. Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength – part 1: theoretical considerations and test design. ACI Structural Journal, 91(4), 394–405.Google Scholar
- Priestley, M. J. N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y., and Venna, R., 1994b. Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength – part 2. Test results and comparison with theory. ACI Structural Journal, 91(5), 537–551.Google Scholar
- QuakeWrap, 2010. www.quakewrap.com.
- Rodriguez, M., and Park, R., 1994. Seismic load tests on reinforced concrete columns strengthened by jacketing. ACI Structural Journal, 91, 150–159.Google Scholar
- Saafi, M., Toutanji, H. A., and Li, Z., 1999. Behaviour of concrete columns confined with fibre reinforced polymer tubes. ACI Structural Journal, 96(4), 500–509.Google Scholar
- Saatcioglu, M., and Elnabelsy, G., 2001. Seismic Retrofit of Bridge Columns with CFRP Jacket. FRP Composites in Civil Engineering. Elsevier Science, pp. 833–838.Google Scholar
- Saatcioglu, M., Chakrabarti, S., Selbuy, R., and Mes, D., 2002. Improving ductility and shear capacity of reinforced concrete columns with the retro-belt retrofitting system. In Proceedings of the 7th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute.Google Scholar
- Saatcioglu, M., Serrato, F., and Foo, S., 2005. Seismic performance of masonry infill walls retrofitted with CFRP sheets. ACI Special Publication SP-230, 230, 341–354.Google Scholar
- Saatcioglu, M., Ozbakkaloglu, T., and Elnabelsy, G., 2008. Seismic behavior and design of reinforced concrete columns confined with FRP stay-in-place formwork. ACI-SP 257-09, American Concrete Institute, 230, 149–170.Google Scholar
- Shalouf, F., and Saatcioglu, M., 2006. Seismic retrofit of non-ductile reinforced concrete frames with diagonal prestressing. In Proceedings of the 8th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Soong, T. T., and Dargush, G. F., 1997. Passive Energy Dissipation Systems in Structural Engineering. Chichester, England: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Stark, A., Binici, B., and Bayrak, O., 2005. Seismic upgrade of reinforced concrete slab-column connections using carbon fibre-reinforced polymers. ACI Structural Journal, 102(2), 324–333.Google Scholar
- Tremblay, R., Tchebotarev, N., and Filiatrault, A., 1997. Seismic performance of RBS connections for steel moment resisting frames: influence of loading rate and floor slab. In Proceedings – STESSA 1997, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 4–7.Google Scholar
- Uang, C-M., and Bertero, V. V., 1988. Use of energy as a design criterion in earthquake-resistant design. Report No. UCB/EERC-88/18, Berkeley, University of California.Google Scholar
- Vandergrifit, J., Gergely, J., and Young, D. T., 2010. CFRP Retrofit of Masonry Walls. www.quakewrap.com/technical-papers-on-Fiber-Reinforced-Polymer.php.
- Yarandi, M. S., Saatcioglu, M., and Foo, S., 2004. Rectangular concrete columns retrofitted by external prestressing for seismic shear resistance. In Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada.Google Scholar