Sea Level Change
Mean sea level (MSL). An oceanographic term, referring to sea surface level, possibly averaged over an area or a period of time, but with short-period variations such as waves filtered out.
Monthly mean sea level. Average sea surface level, usually at a single location, preferably taken over an integer number of tidal cycles, averaged over a period of about one calendar month.
Global mean sea level. Average sea level, averaged over all sea areas.
Sea level change. Referring to the long-term trend in mean sea level, which may be calculated from a single location or across a region. One can distinguish between absolute sea level change and relative (to the local land level) sea level change.
Projection. Extrapolation to what would happen under given starting conditions, for given changes and given physical assumptions. Climate change projections are often expressed relative to a particular time period, presently usually 1961–1990.
The sea surface is constantly...
- Dyurgerov, M., and Meier, M. F. 2005. Glaciers and the changing earth system: a 2004 snapshot. Boulder, CO: Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado. Occasional Paper 58, 118 pp.Google Scholar
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 2001. Climate change 2001: IPCC third assessment report: working group I. The scientific basis. Web published by GRID Arendal in 2003. http://www.grida.no/publications/other/ipcc_tar/.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis: Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC. Solomon, S., Qin, D., Manning, M., Marquis, M., Averyt, K., Tignor, M. M. B., Miller, H. L., and Chen, Z. (eds.) Cambridge, UK/New York: Cambridge University Press, 996 pp. http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/ar4-wg1.htm.
- Jevrejeva, S., Moore, J. C., and Grinsted, A., 2010. How will sea level respond to changes in natural and anthropogenic forcings by 2100. Geophysical Research Letters, 37, 5 pp.Google Scholar
- Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level. http://www.psmsl.org.
- PIANC, 2008. Waterborne transport, ports and waterways: a review of climate change drivers, impacts, responses and mitigation. Report of PIANC EnviCom Task Group 3, Climate change and navigation, PIANC, Brussels, Belgium.Google Scholar
- University of Colorado Sea level Research Group. http://sealevel.colorado.edu/.