Emergent literacy is a model describing the process of learning to read.
Two basic models exist regarding the development of early literacy skills: reading readiness and emergent literacy. The reading readiness model represents a traditional perspective, suggesting that children begin learning to read only after they have reached a certain threshold of maturation. According to this model, learning to read begins at a discrete point in time; readiness can be accelerated somewhat via early learning experiences but relies primarily on individual development .
The reading readiness model has been deemphasized over the past several years with the introduction of an emergent literacy model. Emergent literacy espouses a more fluid model of reading development, proposing that children acquire early literacy skills through a gradually occurring process, which is not necessarily initiated at a particular...
- 1.Burns, M. S., Griffin, P., & Snow, C. E. (Eds.). (1999). Starting out right: A guide to promoting children’s reading success. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- 2.Gunn, B. K., Simmons, D. C., & Kame’enui, E. J. (1998). Emergent literacy: Synthesis of the research. In D. C. Simmons & E. J. Kame’enui (Eds.), What reading research tells s about children with diverse learning needs (pp. 2–50). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- 3.Hammill, D. D. (2004). What we know about correlates of reading. Exceptional Children, 70, 453–468.Google Scholar
- 4.National Reading Panel. (2000). Teaching children to read: Reports of the subgroups. Washington, DC: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.Google Scholar
- 5.Simmons, D. C., Kame’enui, E. J., Coyne, M. D., & Chard, D. J. (2002). Effective strategies for teaching beginning reading. In E. J. Kame’enui, D. W. Carnine, R. C. Dixon, D. C. Simmons, & M. D. Coyne (Eds.), Effective teaching strategies that accommodate diverse learners (2nd ed., pp. 53–92). Columbus, OH: Merrill Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- 6.Teale, W., & Sulzby, E. (1986). Emergent literacy: Writing and reading. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.Google Scholar