Face Recognition, Near-Infrared
Near-infrared (NIR) based face recognition, as opposed to the conventional visible light (VIS) based, is an effective approach n overcoming the impact of illumination changes on face recognition. It uses a special purpose imaging capture hardware, in which active NIR lights mounted around the camera lens illuminate the face from near frontal direction and an NIR camera captures front-lighted NIR face images. This is similar to a camera flash but the imaging is done in the invisible NIR spectrum. With such NIR face images, problems caused by uncertainties in uncontrollable environmental illumination are minimized, and difficulties in building the face matching engine is much alleviated. The NIR approach usually achieves significantly higher performance than the VIS approach.
Face recognition should be performed based on intrinsic factors of the face, related to the...
- 1.NIST: Face Recognition Vendor Tests (FRVT). http://www.frvt.org (2006)
- 4.OTCBVS. In: IEEE International Workshop on Object Tracking and Classification in and Beyond the Visible Spectrum. (2004–2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, D.Y., Liao, W.H.: Facial feature detection in near-infrared images. In: Proceedings of fifthth International Conference on Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition and Image Processing, Cary, NC, pp. 26–30 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.AuthenMetric Co. Ltd.: A Method for Face Image Acquisition and a Method and System for Face Recognition. Patent No.PCT/CN2004/000482 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, S.Z., His Face Team: AuthenMetric F1: A Highly Accurate and Fast Face Recognition System. ICCV2005 - Demos (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Li, S.Z., Chu, R., Liao, S., Zhang., L.: Illumination invariant face recognition using near-infrared images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 26 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Yi, D., Liu, R., Chu, R., Liu, D., Wang, R., Li, S.Z.: “Outdoor face recognition using enhanced near infrared imaging”. In: Proceedings of IAPR International Conference on Biometric, Seoul, Korea (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.NIST: Multiple Biometric Grand Challenge (MBGC). http://face.nist.gov/mbgc (2008)
- 14.Yi, D., Liu, R., Chu, R., Lei, Z., Li, S.Z.: Face matching between near infrared and visible light images. In: Proceedings of IAPR International Conference on Biometric, Seoul, Korea (2007)Google Scholar