Face detection is concerned with finding whether there are any faces in a given image (usually in gray scale) and, if present, return the image location and content of each face. This is the first step of any fully automatic system that analyzes the information contained in faces (e.g., identity, gender, expression, age, race, and pose). While earlier work dealt mainly with upright frontal faces, several systems have been developed that are able to detect faces fairly accurately with in-plane or out-of-plane rotations in real time. Although a face detection module is typically designed to deal with single images, its performance can be further improved if video stream is available.
The advances of computing technology has facilitated the development of real-time vision modules that interact with humans in recent years. Examples abound, particularly in biometrics and human computer interaction as the information contained in faces needs...
- 10.Dollar, P., Tu, Z., Tao, H., Belongie, S.: Feature mining for image classification. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Jones, M., Viola, P.: Fast multi-view face detection. Technical Report TR2003-96, Mitsubishi Electrical Research Laboratories (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Fast and robust classification using asymmetric Adaboost and a detector cascade. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 1311–1318 (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Pham, M.T., Cham, T.J.: Online learning asymmetric boosted classifiers for object detection. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Oren, M., Papageorgiou, C., Sinha, P., Osuna, E., Poggio, T.: Pedestrian detection using wavelet templates. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 193–199 (1997)Google Scholar
- 22.Romdhani, S., Torr, P., Schölkopf, B., Blake, A.: Computationally efficient face detection. In: Proceedings of the Eighth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 695–700 (2001)Google Scholar
- 24.Osadchy, M., LeCun, Y., Miller, M.: Synergistic face detection and pose estimation with energy-based models. J. Mach. Learn. Res. 1197–1214 (2007)Google Scholar
- 25.Ding, L., Martinez, A.: Precise detailed detection of faces and facial features. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2008)Google Scholar