Fingerprint Image Enhancement
Fingerprint image enhancement is the process of applying techniques to emphasize fingerprint images in order to facilitate the identification of ridge valley structures and hence their features.
Computerized fingerprint feature extractors more or less require some sort of image pre-processing or enhancement to improve perceptibility. In doing so, they need to contend with two major types of problems: one is associated with image contrast such as insufficient dynamic range, and the other is associated with adverse physical factors such as scars, blurs, creases, sweat pores, and incipient ridges. Fingerprint image enhancement aims to minimize the undesired effects caused by such elements in order to extract a sufficient number of reliable features, namely, minutiae and fingerprint singularities (cores and deltas). Broadly speaking, fingerprint image enhancement encompasses, but is...
The sample images are courtesy of the NIST and the University of Bologna [14, 15]. The author would like to thank Amane Yoshida for proofreading and rewriting in English. For more information on the technical details, refer to ‘Fingerprint Analysis and Representation’ in Handbook of Fingerprint Recognition by Maltoni Et al. .)
- 1.ANSI/NIST-ITL 1-2007 Fingerprint Standard – http://fingerprint.nist.gov/standard/index.html
- 2.Maltoni, D. et al.: Handbook of fingerprint recognition. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Hara, M.: Image Density Conversion Method, Image Enhancement Processor, and Program Thereof (USP 20080050030A1 – Pending)Google Scholar
- 6.Stock, R.: Automatic fingerprint reading. In: The 1972 Carnahan Conference, on Electronic Crime Countermeasures, April 19–21, 1972Google Scholar
- 7.Asai, K. et al.: Automatic fingerprint identification. SPIE vol. 182, Imaging Application for Automated Industrial Inspection & Assembly (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.Capello, R. et al.: Method and apparatus for contextual data enhancement (USP 4,876,726)Google Scholar
- 9.Kamei, T. et al.: Image filter design for fingerprint enhancement. In:Proceedings International Symposium on Computer Vision, 109–114 (1995).Google Scholar
- 11.Funada, et al.: System and method for processing fingerprint/palmprint image (USP 7,027,626)Google Scholar
- 12.Hara, M.: System for recognizing fingerprint image, method and program for the same (USP 20070036401A1 – Pending)Google Scholar
- 13.Paul, A. et al.: A study of image enhancement techniques for fingerprint identification. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Video and Signal Based Surveillance (AVSS’06) (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.NIST (National Institute of Standard and Technologies) Special Database #27 – http://www.nist.gov/srd/nistsd27.htm
- 15.FVC2002 Second Fingerprint Verification Competition Database – http://bias.csr.unibo.it/fvc2002/