Fingerprint, Palmprint, Handprint and Soleprint Sensor
A fingerprint or palmprint or handprint or soleprint sensor is a transducer that converts the ridge–valley structure of a person’s hand or foot sole to an electrical signal. Generally, the sensor reads the difference of pressure, temperature, light, electrical capacity or other kinds of energies are measured between the ridges and the valleys. Then, this difference is converted into an electrical digital signal that is encoded as an image representing the ridge–valley pattern. Different technologies can be applied to achieve this conversion and each of them brings advantages and disadvantages.
It is important to highlight that the output signal is a representation of the real-world ridge–valley pattern. Hence, if F is a ridge–valley pattern of a real-world finger tip and s is the transfer function of a device, the output signal is F ′ = ...
- 1.Ashbaugh, D.R.: Quantitative-Qualitative Friction Ridge Analysis: An Introduction to Basic and Advanced Ridgeology. CRC, Boca Raton (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Criminal Justice Information Services Division: Electronic Fingerprint Transmission Specification. Department of Justice (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Rowe, R.K., Nixon, K.A.: Fingerprint enhancement using a multispectral sensor. In: Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Biometric Technology for Human Identification, vol. 5779. pp. 81–93.Orlando, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Rowe, R.K., Corcoran, S.P., Nixon, K.A., Ostrom, R.E.: Multispectral Imaging for Biometrics. In: Proceedings of SPIE Conference on Spectral Imaging: Instrumentation, Applications, and Analysis, vol. 5694, pp. 90–99. Orlando, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Rowe R.K., Nixon, K.A., Butler, P.W.: Advances in Biometrics. Sensors, Algorithms and Systems, chap. Multispectral Fingerprint Image Acquisition. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Parziale, G.: Advances in Biometrics. Sensors, Algorithms and Systems, chap. Touchless Fingerprint Technology. Springer, Berlin, New York, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Parziale, G., Diaz-Santana, E.: The surround imager: a multi-camera touchless devide to acquire 3D rolled-equivalent fingerprints. In: Proceedings of IAPR International Conference on Biometrics (ICB), pp. 244–250. Hong Kong, China (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Parziale, G., Bishof, H.: Image reconstruction and on-the-fly minutiae extraction of fingerprints acquired with sweep sensors. In: Proc. of 28th Workshop of the Austrian Association of Pattern Recognition, pp. 241–248. Austria (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Clausen, S.: Advances in Biometrics Sensors, Algorithms and Systems, chap. A single-line AC capacitive fingerprint swipe sensor. Springer, New York, USA (2008)Google Scholar