- Evaggelia PitouraAffiliated withUniversity of Ioannina
A query optimizer translates a query into a sequence of physical operators that can be directly carried out by the query execution engine. The output of the optimizer is called a query execution plan. The execution plan may be thought of as a dataflow datagram that pipes data through a graph of query operators. The goal of query optimization is to derive an efficient execution plan in terms of relevant performance measures, such as memory usage and query response time. To achieve this, the optimizer needs to provide: (i) a space of execution plans (search space), (ii) cost estimation techniques to assign a relevant cost to each plan in the search space, and (iii) an enumeration algorithm to search through the space of plans.
The query optimizer takes as input a parsed query and produces as output an efficient execution plan for the query. The task of the optimizer is nontrivial, since given a query (i) there are ma ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Query Optimization
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2272-2273
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.