- Goetz GraefeAffiliated withHewlett-Packard Laboratories
If a buffer pool is employed in a database management system, the associated software must provide appropriate services for efficient query processing, correct transaction execution, and effective sharing and reuse of database pages. It must provide interfaces for page access including pinning and latching pages, and it must invoke primitives for disk I/O and synchronization.
Database buffer pool management was studied heavily in the 1970s and 1980s as the new relational database management system posed new challenges, in particular non-procedural queries with range scans. Reliance of virtual memory and file system buffer pool was investigated but rejected due to performance issues (read-ahead, prefetch) and correctness issues (transaction management, write-behind, write-through).
Buffer pool management is currently not a very active research area. It may be revived in order to serve deep storage h ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Buffer Manager
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 282-285
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Goetz Graefe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Palo Alto, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.