Dictionary-Based Data Compression
Keywords and Synonyms
LZ compression ; Ziv–Lempel compression ; Parsing-based compression
The problem of lossless data compression is the problem of compactly representing data in a format that admits the faithful recovery of the original information. Lossless data compression is achieved by taking advantage of the redundancy which is often present in the data generated by either humans or machines.
Dictionary-based data compression has been “the solution” to the problem of lossless data compression for nearly 15 years. This technique originated in two theoretical papers of Ziv and Lempel [15,16] and gained popularity in the “80s” with the introduction of the Unix tool compress (1986) and of the gifimage format (1987). Although today there are alternative solutions to the problem of lossless data compression (e. g., Burrows-Wheeler compression and Prediction by Partial Matching), dictionary-based compression is still widely used in everyday applications:...
KeywordsCompression Ratio Dictionary Word Good Compression Ratio Markov Chain Algorithm Longe Prefix
- 1.Arroyuelo, D., Navarro, G., Sadakane, K.: Reducing the space requirement of LZ-index. In: Proc. 17th Combinatorial Pattern Matching conference (CPM), LNCS no. 4009, pp. 318–329, Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Cormode, G., Muthukrishnan, S.: Substring compression problems. In: Proc. 16th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA '05), pp. 321–330 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Lifshits, Y., Mozes, S., Weimann, O., Ziv-Ukelson, M.: Speeding up HMM decoding and training by exploiting sequence repetitions. Algorithmica to appear doi:10.1007/s00453-007-9128-0Google Scholar
- 9.Matias, Y., Şahinalp, C.: On the optimality of parsing in dynamic dictionary based data compression. In: Proceedings 10th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA '99), pp. 943–944 (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Şahinalp, C., Rajpoot, N.: Dictionary-based data compression: An algorithmic perspective. In: Sayood, K. (ed.) Lossless Compression Handbook, pp. 153–167. Academic Press, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Salomon, D.: Data Compression: the Complete Reference, 4th edn. Springer, London (2007)Google Scholar