Myrinet is a family of high-performance network interface cards (NICs) and network switches produced by Myricom, Inc. (Myrinet® and Myricom® are registered trademarks of Myricom, Inc.) Some salient features of Myrinet are that it utilizes wormhole switching and emphasizes fully programmable NICs and simple switches.
The Myrinet network  is a direct descendent of Caltech’s Mosaic C multicomputer  and USC/ISI’s ATOMIC local-area network (LAN) . The Mosaic C was based on custom processors that integrated a network interface, router, and simple CPU onto a single die. Although the Mosaic C processor was intended to be used as the building block for a massively parallel processor, the ATOMIC project investigated using Mosaic C processors in a LAN setting as intelligent NICs – protocol processors – as a means for providing high-speed communication to nodes with more...
- 1.Araki S, Bilas A, Dubnicki C, Edler J, Konishi K, Philbin J (1998) User-space communication: a quantitative study. In: Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE/ACM conference on supercomputing (SC’98), Orlando, Florida, 7–13 Nov 1998. ISBN: 0-8186-8707-X. doi: 10.1109/SC.1998.10038Google Scholar
- 4.Chin G, Parsons E, Dumont JJ, Wright D, Sherfinski H, Robak D, Jaenicke R, Vadasz I, Thompson M, Blake M, Morgan R, Bratton J, Cohen D, Waggett J, McKee R, Munroe M, Peterson W, Endo D, Kwok J, Rynearson J, Alderman R, Andreas H, Bedard J, Lavely T, Patterson B (1998) Myrinet on VME protocol specification. ANSI Standard ANSI/VITA 26-1998, VITA Standards Organization, Scottsdale. November 2, 1998. A draft is available from http://www.myri.com/open-specs/myri-vme-d11.pdf
- 6.Felderman R, DeSchon A, Cohen D, Finn G (1994) ATOMIC: a high speed local communication architecture. J High Speed Netw 3(1):1–28. ISSN: 0926-6801Google Scholar
- 7.Myricom, Inc. (2000) LANai 9. June 26, 2000. http://www.myri.com/vlsi/LANai9.pdf
- 8.Myricom, Inc. (2003) Lanai X. July 28, 2003. http://www.myri.com/vlsi/LanaiX.Rev1.1.pdf. Revision 1.1
- 9.Myricom, Inc. (2006) Myrinet Express (MX): a high-performance, low-level message-passing interface for Myrinet. October 1, 2006. http://www.myri.com/scs/MX/doc/mx.pdf. Version 1.2
- 11.Seitz CL, Boden NJ, Seizovic J, Su W-K (1993) The design of the Caltech Mosaic C multicomputer. In: Borriello G, Ebeling C (eds) Proceedings of the 1993 symposium on research on integrated systems, Seattle, Washington, 14–16 Mar 1993. MIT Press, pp 1–22. ISBN: 0-262-02357-1Google Scholar