International Agencies and Peace Education
“Since wars begin in the minds of men [and women], it is in the minds of men [and women] that the defenses of peace must be constructed” (UNESCO 1945). This notable phrase which is found in the Preamble of the UNESCO Constitution that was written in 1945 enshrines the rationale for the organization’s establishment and indeed for much of the very idea of the United Nations as a whole. At the end of the Second World War, the international community believed that economic, social, and political action was necessary to create and maintain peace. At the same time, the idea underpinning the establishment of the specialized agencies which make up the United Nations system, such as UNESCO, was that action in the domains of education, culture, and related fields was of paramount importance in this quest as well. This is also enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948), which in its Article 26, paragraph 2, states that “Education shall be directed to the full...
- UNESCO. (1945). Constitution. In UNESCO (2014). Basic texts. Paris: UNESCO. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0022/002269/226924e.pdf#page=6.
- UNESCO. (1974). Recommendation concerning education for international understanding, co-operation and peace and education relating to human rights and fundamental freedoms. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (1996). Learning: The treasure within. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2014). Learning to live together: Education policies and realities in the Asia-Pacific. Bangkok: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2015). Global citizenship education: Topics and learning objectives. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO, UNDP, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, UN Women, World Bank Group. (2015). Education 2030: Incheon declaration and framework for action – Towards inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning for all.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (1948). Universal declaration of human rights. New York: United Nations. http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/.Google Scholar