Dictionary of Geotourism

2020 Edition
| Editors: Anze Chen, Young Ng, Erkuang Zhang, Mingzhong Tian

Cave Raft Landscape

Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2538-0_255

A travertine film or membrane on the water surface inside a karst cave is called a cave raft or a calcium film, and the scenery composed of these films is called a cave raft landscape. These calcium films are composed of micro-calcite grains released from the over-saturated cave bottom solution. They look like a thin membrane, are less than 1 mm thick and float on the pool water like thin floating ice. When their thickness increases to the point exceeding the buoyancy, they sink to the bottom in flakes.

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020