Dictionary of Geotourism

2020 Edition
| Editors: Anze Chen, Young Ng, Erkuang Zhang, Mingzhong Tian

Lingqu Canal

Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2538-0_1406
The Lingqu Canal is by far one of the best-preserved ancient water conservancy projects in the world. It shares this honour with Dujiangyan in Sichuan Province and the Zheng Canal in Shaanxi Province; together, they are called the ‘three major water conservancy projects of the Qin Dynasty.’ The Lingqu Canal is located in Xing’an County, 60 km northeast of Guilin, and has a total length of 37 km. Its construction was completed in Emperor Qinshihuang’s Year 33 (214 B.C.), and it comprises Huazui (Spade inlet), Daxiao Tianping (Large and Small Balance), Nanqu (South Canal), Beiqu Tianping (North Canal Balance) and Doumen (Steep Gate). The design is sophisticated and scientifically effective. Huazui separates the Xiangjiang River into two flows, one of which contains approximately 30% of the water volume and flows south into the Lijiang River, while the other contains approximately 70% of the water volume and flows north into the original Xiangjiang River. This canal links the Changjiang...
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.

Copyright information

© Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2020