Gender Issues in Education
Our world is constructed around gender binaries, where women and men are assigned different roles and characteristics because of their gender. Often this leads to the oppression of women and of those who do not fit neatly inside the gender expectation “boxes.” Misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia are discriminatory attitudes held by many in society, which limit the freedoms and quality of life of people because of the way they choose to express their gender. Teachers and the education system are part of the (re)production of societal attitudes and can be influential in reinforcing or challenging gender discrimination. Awareness of gender issues is the first step in overcoming gender discrimination; action is the next.
This entry overviews gender issues in education, as a starting point for raising awareness. The first part deals with gender concepts by giving a working definition of gender as used in this entry, a brief selection of gender theoretical approaches, and...
- Alton-Lee, A., Praat, A., & Haisman, G. (2001). Questioning gender. Snapshots from: Explaining and addressing gender differences in the New Zealand compulsory school sector, a literature review. Wellington: Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Connell, R. W., & Pearse, R. (2014). Gender: In world perspective (3rd ed.). Sydney: Wiley. Retrieved from http://gbv.eblib.com/patron/FullRecord.aspx?p=4029932.Google Scholar
- de Beauvoir, S. (1949/2011). The second sex (C. Borde & S. Malovany, Trans.). London: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Desmarais, F. (2018, November 15). Non-binary finery: The Kiwis whose gender doesn’t fit in a ‘neat little box’. Stuff.Co.Nz. Retrieved from https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/108178948/nonbinary-finery-the-kiwis-whose-gender-doesnt-fit-in-a-neat-little-box
- Gender Equal NZ. (2017). Gender attitudes survey. Retrieved from https://genderequal.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Gender-Attitudes-Survey-FINAL.pdf
- hooks, b. (1981/1990). Ain’t I a woman: Black women and feminism. Boston: South End Press.Google Scholar