Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV)
The Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) is a kind of submersible, remotely operated by a crew aboard a supporting vessel, floating platform, or on land. Generally, ROV works on the principle of teleoperation where slave system, in this case it is the ROV body, interacts with hazardous extreme environment and a master system, in this case human operator, is placed at safe and comfortable location (Agba 1995; Costa et al. 2012). Therefore, the ROV can be remotely controlled to perform the underwater activities with the manipulators and other tooling capabilities. The umbilical cable can supply electrical power to the ROV body; meanwhile, the ROV body can also return the video or other data information to the supporting vessel through the umbilical cable.
ROVs have the largest number in the world, which is the most widely used, most complex, and most powerful submersible as compared to other kinds. In addition, ROVs...
- Chen ZH, Sheng Y, Hu B (2014) Development status and application of ROV in the ocean scientific investigation. Technol Innov Appl 32(21):3–4. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chen Y, Lian L, Huang HC, Yang CJ, Song JB (2018) Fundamentals of marine technology. China Ocean Press, Beijing (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Christ RD, Wernli RL Sr (2013) The ROV manual: a user guide for remotely operated vehicles. Oxford: Butterworth-HeinemannGoogle Scholar
- Costa MJ, Goncalves P, Martins A, Silva E (2012) Vision-based assisted teleoperation for inspection tasks with a small ROV. In: IEEE Oceans, In Proceedings of the Oceans, Hampton Roads, VA, USA, 14–19 October; pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Lian L, Ma XF, Tao J (2015) Research and development history of the “HAIMA”-4500 ROV. Nav Archit Ocean Eng 31(1):9–12. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- Machin J (2011) The Arctic region from a trenching perspective. J Pipeline Eng 10(2):121Google Scholar
- Tao J, Chen ZH (2016) Development and application of the “HAIMA”-4500 remote operatedly vehicle. J Eng Stud 8(2):185–191. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- The Dark Secrets of the Lusitania. Irish Film News. Retrieved 4 June 2016Google Scholar