Querying the P(hD)ath to Educational Development in Higher Education
- 306 Downloads
As the field of American educational development in higher education continues to grow and diversify, increasing numbers of graduate and undergraduate students may find themselves involved in the field – by producing scholarship of teaching and learning, partnering with instructors and educational developers in innovative ways, or even practicing educational development themselves. These students may thus discover an interest in the profession of educational development long before completing or even entering a doctoral program; yet, in the United States, most educational developers have doctorates, and most job advertisements require them. In this chapter, we query the implications of such requirements. We review various ways young professionals can and have come into contact with educational development before attaining advanced degrees, and we ask: What is next? Ultimately, we suggest new paths need to be forged for those who realize they want to enter this field before earning a doctoral degree.
KeywordsEducational development Academic development Degree requirements Doctoral degree Ph.D. Undergraduate students Graduate students Faculty
- Adams, T.E., S.H. Jones, and C. Ellis. 2015. Autoethnography: Understanding qualitative research. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Arner, L. 2014. Working class women at the MLA interview. Rhizomes 27. Retrieved from http://www.rhizomes.net/issue27/arner.html.
- Austin, A.E. 2002. Preparing the next generation of faculty: Graduate school as socialization to the academic career. The Journal of Higher Education 73 (1): 94–122.Google Scholar
- Baker, N.J. (2012). Immigration for travelling faculty members. Inside Higher Education. 19 Oct. https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2012/10/19/essay-explores-immigration-issues-traveling-faculty-members.
- Border, L.L.B., and L.M. von Hoene. 2010. Graduate and professional student development programs. In A guide to faculty development, 327–345. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Brookfield, S.D. 1995. Becoming a critically reflective teacher, 8. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Burke, H. 2013. Legitimizing student expertise in student-faculty partnerships. Teaching and Learning Together in Higher Education 10. Retrieved from http://repository.brynmawr.edu/tlthe/vol1/iss10/6/.
- Carleton College Perlman Learning and Teaching Center Fellows. 2016. https://apps.carleton.edu/campus/ltc/student-services/fellows/.
- Cassuto, L. (2014). How should graduate school change. The Chronicle of Higher Education. 13 Jan. http://www.chronicle.com/article/How-Should-Graduate-School/143945
- Cassuto, L. (2015). The degree for quitters and failures. The Chronicle of Higher Education. 1 June. http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Degree-for-Quitters-and/230533
- Cook, C.E., and M. Marincovich. 2010. Effective practices at research universities: The productive pairing of research and teaching. In A guide to faculty development, ed. K.J. Gillespie, D.L Robertson, and Associates, 2nd ed., 277–292. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Cook-Sather, A., and S. Abbot. 2016. Translating partnerships: How faculty-student collaboration can create transformed perceptions, terms, and selves. Teaching and Learning Inquiry 4 (2). https://doi.org/10.20343/10.20343/teachlearninqu.4.2.5.
- Elbaz, F. 1987. Teacher’s knowledge of teaching: Strategies for reflection. In Educating teachers: Changing the nature of pedagogical knowledge, ed. J. Smyth. Philadelphia: Farmer Press.Google Scholar
- Ellis, C. 2004. The ethnographic I: A methodological novel about ethnography. Walnut Creek: Altamira Press.Google Scholar
- Felten, P., Kalish, A., Pingree, A., Plank, K. (2007). Toward a scholarship of teaching and learning in educational development. To Improve the Academy, 25 (1), 93–108. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2334-4822.2007.tb00476.x
- Flaherty, C. (2014). 5-Year plan. Inside Higher Education. 28 May. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/05/28/mla-report-calls-phd-program-reform-including-cutting-timedegree
- Georgetown University Master of Arts in Learning and Design. n.d. About. Accessed 20 Nov 2017. http://learninganddesign.georgetown.edu/about-program/
- Grafton, A. T. & Grossman, J. (2011). No more plan b. The Chronicle of Higher Education. 9 Oct 2011. http://www.chronicle.com/article/No-More-Plan-B/129293
- Green, D.A., and D. Little. 2016. Family portrait: A profile of educational development around the world. International Journal for Academic Development (2, 1): 135–150.Google Scholar
- Hagstrom, F., J. Olson, and C. Cross. 2014. The student observer program at Carleton College: Three perspectives on supporting good teaching. Teaching and Learning Together in Higher Education 13. http://teachingandlearningtogether.blogs.brynmawr.edu/archived-issues/thirteenth-issue-fall-2014/the-student-observer-program-at-carleton-college-three perspectives-on-supporting-good-teaching.
- Janzer, C. (2017). Is freelancing bad for your mental health? The Week. 19 August. http://theweek.com/articles/717052/freelancing-bad-mental-health.
- Jaschik, S. (2016). The shrinking Ph.D. job market. Inside Higher Education. 4 April. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/04/04/new-data-show-tightening-phd-job-market-across-disciplines.
- Kelly, C. (2016). Stop resisting nonfaculty careers. Inside Higher Education. 7 July. https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2016/07/07/phd-candidates-should-consider-careers-other-faculty-essay.
- Lee, V. 2010. Programs and prototypes. In A guide to faculty development, ed. K.J.Gillespie, D.L Robertson, and Associates, 2nd ed., 21–34. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Lovitts, B. E. 2001. Leaving the ivory tower: The causes and consequences of departure from doctoral study. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield. Lanham, MD, USA.Google Scholar
- McMaster MacPherson Institute. 2017. http://mi.mcmaster.ca/
- Mullen, A.L. 2010. Degrees of inequality. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- NSF Science and Engineering Doctorates. 2014. Doctorate Recipients from U.S. Universities [Data files]. Available from http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/2016/nsf16300/data-tables.cfm.
- Ouellett, M. L. 2010. Overview of faculty development: History and choices. In A guide to faculty development, ed. K. J. Gillespie, D. L. Robertson, and Associates, 2nd ed., 3–20. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- POD Network Research Committee. 2011. Analysis of several themes emerging from the 2010 POD membership survey data. Retrieved from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6yUeY3EibR9b0ZYOWZBaVlBamc/edit.
- Saldaña, J. 2011. Fundamentals of qualitative research: Understanding qualitative research. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Shön, D. 1987. Educating the reflective practitioners. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Stanley, C. 2001. A review of the pipeline: The value of diversity in staffing teaching and learning centers in the new millennium. Journal of Faculty Development 18 (2): 75–86.Google Scholar
- Teaching-Learning Academy. n.d.. Western Washington University. Accessed 6 Oct 2017. https://library.wwu.edu/use/tla.
- Timmermans, J., M.J. Martek, D. Berthiaume, L. McAlpine, and N. Arcuri. 2005. FacDev: The next generation: Envisaging a doctoral program for future academic developers. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association 2005 Annual meeting. Montreal: April 11–15.Google Scholar
- UCAT. n.d.. About. Accessed 6 Oct 2017. https://ucat.osu.edu/about/.
- University Pedagogy. 2017. Hvem er vi?. Accessed 6 Oct 2017. http://www.uib.no/uniped/54991/hvem-er-vi-gammel.
- Vick, J.M., and J.S. Furlong. 2016. The first steps to a nonfaculty job search. The Chronicle of Higher Education. 20 Apr. http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-First-Steps-to-a/236184.
- Willis, R., and C. Cowton. 2011. Looks good on paper… Times Higher Education. Accessed 8 May 2016. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/looks-good-on-paper/416988.article.