Farmer Types and Motivation
Economic versus noneconomic motives; Farmer attitudes/preferences/goals/reasons/values; Farmer decision making, decision criteria, strategy, rationale; Farmer heterogeneity/diversity; Farmer types/groups/categories; Management styles; Mental framework; Normative assumptions; Perception of constraints and opportunities; Perspectives on agricultural stewardship; Styles of farming; Typology
Building on the diversity of agricultural practices and the observation that even under similar conditions, not all farmers make similar choices, farmer types are often used to distinguish between groups (or types) of farmers. A farmer type is usually described through the interrelationships between attributes, e.g., farmers’ socioeconomic characteristics, their values, the characteristics of their enterprises, and their biophysical assets. Farmer types are thus a means to make sense of the complex relationships between multiple factors that can influence farmer...
- Emtage, N., Herbohn, H., & Harrison, S. (2006). Landholder typologies used in the development of natural resource management programs in Australia. A review. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, 13, 79–94.Google Scholar
- Girard, N. (2006). Catégoriser les pratiques d’agriculteurs pour reformuler un problème en partenariat. Une proposition méthodologique [Categorising farmers’ practices to reformulate a problem in partnership: A method for building situation-specific typologies]. Cahiers Agriculture, 15, 261–272.Google Scholar
- Kluge, S. (2000). Empirically grounded construction of types and typologies in qualitative social research. Forum: Qualitative Social Research. http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/1124/2499
- Kuehne, G., Bjornlund, H., & Cheers, B. (2007). There’s more than one type of farmer: Acknowledging farmers’ diversity – An Australian perspective. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 2, 179–186.Google Scholar
- Soini, K., Diaz, C., Gandini, G., de Haas, Y., Lilja, T., Martin-Collado, D., Pizzi, F., & Hiemstra, S. J. (2012). Developing a typology for local cattle breed farmers in Europe. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics, 129, 436–447.Google Scholar