Farm to School
- 3 Downloads
Expand markets for agricultural producers and food entrepreneurs
Serve fresh and minimally processed foods and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in schools
Increase students’ and communities’ awareness of local food production, nutrition, and their local environments (National Farm to School Network 2017)
Farm to School has developed a wide variety of programs and initiatives to achieve these goals, such as establishing school gardens, taking student field trips to local farms and orchards, scheduling...
- Azuma, A. M., Fischer, A. (2001). Healthy farms, healthy kids: Evaluating the barriers and opportunities of farm-to-school programs. Community food security coalition. University of California Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program.Google Scholar
- Benson, M. C. (2013). Exploring food system change through a mixed methods analysis of cooperative Extension’s role in the farm to school movement. Unpublished dissertation, Virginia Tech University.Google Scholar
- Bontrager, Y. A. B., Liebhart, J. L., McCarty, D. J., Meinen, A., Schoeller, D., Vargas, C., & LaRowe, T. (2014). Farm to elementary school programming increases access to fruits and vegetables and increases their consumption among those with low intake. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 46(5), 341–349.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Center for Disease Control. (2017). Strategies to prevent and manage obesity. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/strategies/index.html. Accessed 15 July.
- Get Active La Crosse. (2017). Farm2School. http://www.getactivelacrosse.org/eat-healthy/farm2school/. Accessed 12 March.
- Hippert, C., Bremer, E., Van Driessche, R., Tanberg, H., Running, M., & Rooker, A. (2014). From local fields to school lunch lines: Multiple stakeholders’ perspectives with a farm 2 school project. Practicing Anthropology, 36(1), 11–15.Google Scholar
- National Council of State Legislatures. (2011). Healthy, hunger-free kids act of 2010 (P.L. 111–296) summary. http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/healthy-hunger-free-kids-act-of-2010-summary.aspx. Accessed 15 July.
- National Farm to School Network. (2017). Benefits of farm to school. http://www.farmtoschool.org/our-network. Accessed 5 July.
- Obama White House Archives. (2017). Let’s move!: America’s move to raise a healthier generation of kids. https://letsmove.obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/. Accessed 15 July.
- Poppendieck, J. (2010). Free for all: Fixing school food in America. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture. (2017a). Overview: Farm to school census 2015. https://farmtoschoolcensus.fns.usda.gov/overview-farm-school-census-2015. Accessed 2 July.
- United States Department of Agriculture. (2017b). Community Food Systems. https://www.fns.usda.gov/farmtoschool/farm-school. Accessed 13 July.