Food Additives and International Trade
- 19 Downloads
This entry aims to outline major ethical concerns relating to food additives and to identify the consequent trade-related issues. It begins with a brief account of the functional and economic rationales for using food additives in processed foods, proceeds to an identification of the ethical concerns associated with their use, and then examines the ways in which these concerns have been addressed. In conclusion, the entry discusses some implications of the ethical analysis presented for international trade in foods containing additives.
Several thousand different chemicals are currently added to processed food. The use of food additives has been integral to developments in the global food industry over recent decades, which are characterized by terms such as “agribusiness” and “food processing.” In consequence, the traditional links between...
- Eurobarometer. (2010). 354 food related risks: Summary.http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/factsheet/docs/sreporten.pdf
- European Commission. (2011). Food additives and flavourings. http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sfp/flav_index_en.html
- European Food Safety Authority. (2010). EFSA opinion on six colours. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/faqs/faqfoodcolours.htm
- European Food Safety Authority. (2012). Re-‘E’valuation of Europe’s food additives. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/120130b.htm
- Harris, J. L., Schwartz, M. B., & Brownell, K. C. (2010). Evaluating fast food nutrition and marketing to youth. Hartford: Yale Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity. http://grist.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/fastfoodfacts_report.pdf
- Mepham, B. (2011a). Functional food and personalized nutrition. In R. F. Chadwick (Ed.), Encyclopedia of applied ethics (2nd ed., pp. 360–369). Dordrecht: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Millstone, E., & Lang, T. (2008). Food additives. In The atlas of food (2nd ed., pp. 90–91). London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Paarlberg, R. (2010). Food politics (p. 177). Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar