Synthetic Biology and Biofuels
- 25 Downloads
Synthetic biology is a field of research that concentrates on the design, construction, and modification of new biomolecular parts and metabolic pathways using engineering techniques and computational models. By employing knowledge of operational pathways from engineering and mathematics such as circuits, oscillators, and digital logic gates, it uses these to understand, model, rewire, and reprogram biological networks and modules. Standard biological parts with known functions are catalogued in a number of registries (e.g., Massachusetts Institute of Technology Registry of Standard Biological Parts). Biological parts can then be selected from the catalogue and assembled in a variety of combinations to construct a system or pathway in a microbe. Through the innovative reengineering of biological circuits...
- Amyris Biotechnologies. (2013). Company website at: http://www.amyrisbiotech.com/Innovation/155/BreakthroughScience. Accessed 15 Mar 2013.
- Anderson, J., Strelkowa, N., Stan, G.-B., Douglas, T., Savulescu, J., Barahona, M., & Papachristodoulou, A. (2012). Engineering and ethical perspectives in synthetic biology. European Molecular Biology Organization Reports, 13(7), 584–590.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, E., Hanson, J., & Thomas, J. (2013). The principles for the oversight of synthetic biology. Declaration drafted by the Friends of the Earth U.S., International Center for Technology Assessment, ETC Group. http://libcloud.s3.amazonaws.com/93/ae/9/2287/2/Principles_for_the_oversight_of_synthetic_biology.pdf. Accessed 9 Nov 2013.
- Kendig, C. (2012). Philosophical investigations of diverse methods in synthetic biology. Presentation at the Genome Consortium for Active Teaching (GCAT) synthetic biology workshop. Ashburn: Howard Hughes Medical Institute Janelia Farm Research Campus. http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=112727. Accessed 22 June 2012.
- Kendig, C. (2013). How synthetic biology reconfigures biological understanding and ethical categories. Genome Consortium for Active Teaching (GCAT) synthetic biology workshop. Ashburn: Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Janelia Farm Research Campus. http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=1127271. Accessed 28 June 2013.
- Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues. (2010). New directions: The ethics of synthetic biology and emerging technologies. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Tyner, W., Dooley, F., & Viteri, D. (2011). Alternative pathways for fulfilling the RFS mandate. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 93, 465–472.Google Scholar
- Wang, W., Liu, X., & Lu, X. (2013). Engineering cyanobacteria to improve photosynthetic production of alka(e)nes. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 6, 69. http://www.biotechnologyforbiofuels.com/content/6/1/69. Accessed 11 Jan 2013.
- Weiss, R. (2007, December 17). Synthetic DNA on the brink of yielding new life forms. Washington, DC: The Washington Post.Google Scholar