Quality of Higher Education Systems
- 167 Downloads
The degree to which a system of higher education meets personal and national needs in an efficient manner.
The “quality” of a national system of higher education is a multidimensional concept. Quality is most frequently measured in terms of outcomes, but outcomes depend on the input of adequate resources and favorable public policy – themselves measures of quality as they signal government commitment to education. The relationship between inputs and outcomes provides a measure of value added or efficiency that represents a further element of quality. A well-performing system requires appropriate quality-ensuring processes to be in place at both the institutional and national level. Reputation is yet another dimension of quality. It combines a multitude of measures, but in essence it is a summary measure of past values of actual performance.
Quality must be evaluated against the missions of the system. In very general terms,...
KeywordsHigh Education High Education System Quality Assurance Measure International Ranking National Qualification Framework
- Bologna Process. 2009. Standards and guidelines for quality assurance in the European higher education area, 3rd ed. Helsinki: European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education.Google Scholar
- OECD. 2005. Guidelines for quality provision in cross-border higher education. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- OECD. 2013. OECD skills outlook 2013: First results from the survey of adult skills. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Universitas 21. 2016. U21 ranking of national higher education systems 2016. http://www.universitas21.com/article/projects/details/153/executive-summary-and-full-2016-report. Accessed 28 May 2016.
- Webber, Karen L. (ed.). 2016. Institutional research. Boca Raton: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Woodhouse, David. 1999. Quality and quality assurance. In Quality and internationalisation in higher education, 29–44. Paris: OECD. http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/quality-and-internationalisation-in-higher-education_9789264173361-en