New Modes of Student Mobility, Work Experience and Service Learning
- 71 Downloads
Work experience and service learning are two distinct yet important and evolving dimensions of international student mobility. They differ most importantly in that service learning is academically supervised whereas work experience does not have to be. Service learning is a rather modern approach, officially established in 1969 when Peace Corps and VISTA officials together with university faculty members and students defined this new pedagogical approach during a conference in Atlanta, Georgia (Busch 2017).
Work experience as a part of a student’s higher education is built on the idea that studying alone might not prepare students properly for the tasks ahead, and that such experience might even help a student to determine whether the chosen academic path is the best for him or her. Work experience is usually developed from the...
KeywordsStudy Abroad Service Learning Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Work Arrangements Erasmus Impact Study (EIS)
- Barblan, Andris. 2010. Epilogue: From the University in Europe to the universities of Europe. In A history of the University in Europe. volume 4: Universities since 1945, ed. Walter Rüegg, 550–574. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Berthold, Christian, Uwe Brandenburg, Martin Platt, Sybille Apelt, and Vera Zimmermann. 2010. Mission Gesellschaft. Engagement und Selbstverständnis der Hochschulen. Ziele, Konzepte, internationale Praxis. Essen: Edition Stifterverband.Google Scholar
- Brandell, Alison. 2016. Effects of study abroad and service-learning on intercultural competence. St. Cloud: theRepository at St. Cloud State. http://repository.stcloudstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1045&context=engl_etds. Accessed 27 July 2017.Google Scholar
- Brandenburg, Uwe, Sonja Berghoff, Obdulia Taboadela, Lukas Bischof, Joanna Gajowniczek, Anna Gehlke, Cort-Denis Hachmeister, Zan Ilieski, Hannah Leichsenring, Dana Petrova, and Mihaela Lenuta Vancea. 2014. The ERASMUS impact study. Effects of mobility on the skills and employability of students and the internationalisation of higher education institutions. Luxembourg: European Union.Google Scholar
- Brandenburg, Uwe, Dana Petrova, Martina Bugárová, Michal Kunc, Šimon Stiburek, and Pavla Tůmová. 2016. The Erasmus impact study regional analysis. A comparative analysis of the effects of Erasmus on the personality, skills and career of students of European regions and selected countries. Luxembourg: European Commission.Google Scholar
- Brandenburg, Uwe, Bianca Faragau, Anne-Mari Hall, Milan Jantos, Michaela Ǩličniková, Michal Kunc, Pavla Milatová, Inga Pavlovaite, Šimon Stiburek, Irina Ulcica, and Kristyna Vltavská. 2017. Study on the impact of transnational volunteering through the European voluntary service. Luxembourg: European Commission.Google Scholar
- Busch, David. A Brief History of Service Learning. socialchange101.org. http://www.socialchange101.org/history-of-service-learning/. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- European Commission. 2016. Call for tenders EAC/13/2016 – Erasmus+ Higher Education Impact Study. ec.europa.eu. https://ec.europa.eu/education/calls/2016-eac-13_en. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Fayetteville State University. Definition of Service Learning. Uncfsu.edu. http://www.uncfsu.edu/civic-engagement/service-learning/definition-of-service-learning. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- German Rectors’ Conference. Dual programmes – Studying and work experience. Hochschulkompass.de. https://www.hochschulkompass.de/en/degree-programs/all-about-studying-in-germany/forms-of-study/dual-work-study-programs.html. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- IES 2017. Volunteer Abroad on a Service Learning Program. iesabroad.org. https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/service-learning. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- International Studies Abroad. Service Learning. studiesabroad.com. http://studiesabroad.com/experience/service-learning. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Sauber, Nikki. The impact of service: Cultural understanding and international service-learning with Bridgewater state university in Undergraduate Review Vol. 8 Art. 13, 2012. http://vc.bridgew.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1215&context=undergrad_rev. Accessed 17 July 2017.
- Sheffield University. Earn Recognized Life Experience. Sheffieldstateuniversity.com. http://www.sheffieldstateuniversity.com. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Universidad Francisco de Vitoria 2017a. Alumnos de la UFV participan en las misiones organizadas por Acción Social y la sociedad de alumnos VAS en Guinea. Comunicacioninstitucional.ufv.es. http://comunicacioninstitucional.ufv.es/alumnos-de-la-ufv-participan-en-las-misiones-organizadas-por-accion-social-la-sociedad-de-alumnos-vas-en-guinea/. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Universidad Francisco de Vitoria 2017b. Voluntariado Internacional. Ufv.es. http://www.ufv.es/voluntariado-internacional. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- University of Iowa. Service Learning Abroad. International.uiowa.edu. https://international.uiowa.edu/study-abroad/first-steps/wiva/service-learning. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- University of Texas. Service Learning. World.utexas.edu. http://world.utexas.edu/abroad/programs/service. Accessed 27 July 2017.