Sustainable Food Procurement
- 162 Downloads
This entry endeavors to give an overview of ethical issues relating to public procurement of food for the public sector – principally schools and hospitals, as well as care homes, prisons, and office canteens.
Public procurement has multiple objectives. Procurers must seek to buy food at an affordable price and delivered in adequate quantities and at the required time. Food must meet government nutritional and food safety standards.
Ethical issues are also often discussed under the concept of sustainable procurement, with reference being made to environmental, economic, and social sustainability.
The most important environmental considerations include protecting biodiversity, especially by introducing organic food, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, by reducing food miles or perhaps by reducing meat consumption.
Promoting animal welfare
Supporting local food producers
Promoting better employment conditions...
- Cordts, A., Nitzko, S., & Spiller, A. (2014). Consumer Response to Negative Information on Meat Consumption in Germany. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review Volume 17 Special Issue: Food demand, diet, pp. 83–106. Retrieved from http://www.ifama.org/files/IFAMR/Vol%2017/v17iA.pdf#page=91.
- Dagevos, H., & Voordouw, J. (2013). Sustainability and meat consumption: Is reduction realistic? Sustainability: Science, Practice, and Policy, 9(2), 60–69.Google Scholar
- Davis, D., Hudson, D. (2011). Going local: Burlington, Vermont’s farm-to-school program. In Robert, S. A., Weaver-Hightower, M. B. (Eds.), School food politics: The complex ecology of hunger and feeding in schools around the world. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Harper, P. (2009). Values for money: Rethinking the food system (Interview with Tim Lang). Clean Slate the Practical Journal of Sustainable Living No 71 Spring 2009. http://www.cat.org.uk
- Muukka, E., Kuosmanen, L., Ylinampa, M., Blomquist, U., Kärkkäinen, I., Malaska, K., …, & Soininen, J. (2008). Local food in municipal catering – A survey of local food purchasing in Finnish municipalities. http://orgprints.org/15953/
- School Food Plan. (2014). School Food Standards. A practical guide for schools their cooks and caterers. http://www.schoolfoodplan.com/
- Sustainable Development Commission. (2005). Sustainability implications of the little red tractor scheme report by Levett-Therivel sustainability consultants. London: Sustainable Development Commission.Google Scholar
- Sustainable Development Commission. (2006). Looking back, looking forward lessons in choice editing for sustainability: 19 case studies into drivers and barriers to mainstreaming more sustainable products. London: Sustainable Development Commission.Google Scholar
- Willer, H., & Lernoud, J. (2017). The world of organic agriculture. Statistics and emerging trends. FIBL-IFOAM report, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FIBL), Frick, and IFOAM – Organics International, Bonn. https://shop.fibl.org/CHen/mwdownloads/download/link/id/785/?ref=1 .