The Position of the Clamped Nuclei Electronic Hamiltonian in Quantum Mechanics
- Brian SutcliffeAffiliated withService de Chimie Quantique et Photophysique, Université Libre de Bruxelles
- , R. Guy WoolleyAffiliated withService de Chimie Quantique et Photophysique, Université Libre de Bruxelles
Arguments are advanced to support the view that at present it is not possible to derive molecular structure from the full quantum mechanical Coulomb Hamiltonian associated with a given molecular formula that is customarily regarded as representing the molecule in terms of its constituent electrons and nuclei. However molecular structure may be identified provided that some additional chemically motivated assumptions that lead to the clamped nuclei Hamiltonian are added to the quantum mechanical account.
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- The Position of the Clamped Nuclei Electronic Hamiltonian in Quantum Mechanics
- Reference Work Title
- Handbook of Computational Chemistry
- pp 13-54
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.