Geodesy, Ground Positioning and Leveling
Height determination; Terrestrial positioning
Geodesy. Science for the determination and representation of the figure, shape, size of the Earth and of other celestial bodies along with their external gravity field as a function of time.
Positioning. Determination of coordinates for points on earth, sea, or space with respect to a reference system.
Ground positioning. Determination of terrestrial coordinates.
Leveling. The determination of heights of points with respect to a reference surface.
Geodesy, along with Astronomy, is considered the oldest earth science, and dates back to the Sumerians of 5,000 years ago. The word “geodesy” is composite and is derived from the Greek noun «Γη = earth» and the verb «δαίω = divide». It is, literally, the science used to “divide, distribute, and measure the Earth.” The roots of geodesy can be found in ancient Egypt and Babylon where “the geometry of the Earth” was used for the recovery of the land property...
- Anderson, M. J., and Mikhail, E. M., 1997. Surveying: Theory and Practice. Boston: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Blewitt, G., 2010. GPS and space-based geodetic methods. In Herring, T. (ed.), Geodesy: Treatise on Geophysics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier. Chap. 11.Google Scholar
- Cumming, G. I., and Wong, H. F., 2005. Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation. New York: Artech House Publishers.Google Scholar
- Froelich, C., and Mettenleiner, M., 2004. Terrestrial Laser Scanning – New Perspectives in 3D Surveying, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, XXXVI-8/W2, 3–6 October, Freiburg, Germany.Google Scholar
- Gagnon, K., Chadwell, C. D., and Norabuena, E., 2005. Measuring the onset of locking in the Peru-Chile trench with GPS and acoustic measurements. Nature, 434, 205.Google Scholar
- Ghilani, D. C., 2010. Adjustment Computations: Spatial Data Analysis. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Herring, T. (ed.), 2010. Geodesy: Treatise on Geophysics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hofmann-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H., and Wasle, E., 2007. GNSS Global Navigation Satellite Systems: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and more. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Ihde, J., Mäkinen J., and Sacher, M., 2008. Conventions for the definition and realization of a European vertical reference system. In Symposium of the IAG Sub-Commission for Europe (EUREF), June 18–21, Brussels.Google Scholar
- Kahmen, H., and Rieterer A., 2004. High-precision object monitoring with image assisted theodolites: state of the art. In International Workshop on Accelerator Alignment, CERN, Oct 4–7, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, D. E., and Hegarty, Ch (eds.), 2005. Understanding GPS: Principles and Applications, 2nd edn. New York: Artech House.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, M., Zhang, C., Mahfouz, M., and Fathy, A. E., 2009. Real-time UWB indoor positioning system with millimeter 3-D dynamic accuracy. In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI '09, June 1–5, IEEE, Charleston.Google Scholar
- Leick, A., 2003. GPS Satellite Surveying, 2nd edn. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, D. D., and Petit, G. (eds.), 2003. IERS Conventions (2003), International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service, IERS Technical Note No. 32, Verlag des Bundesamts fuer Kartographie und Geodaesie, Frankfurt am Main, 2004.Google Scholar
- Meyer, H. T., 2010. Introduction to Geometrical and Physical Geodesy: Foundations of Geomatics. New York: ESRI Press.Google Scholar
- Rueger, J. M., 2003. Electronic Surveying Instruments: A Review of Principles, Problems and Procedures, Monograph No. 18, School of Surveying and Spatial Information Systems, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.Google Scholar
- Teunissen, P. J. G., 2000. Adjustment Theory: An Introduction (Mathematical Geodesy and Positioning). Delft, The Netherlands: VSSD Publishers.Google Scholar
- Torge, W., 2001. Geodesy. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Werner, C., Strozzi, T., Wiesmann, A., and Wegmüller, U., July 6–11, 2008. A Real-Aperture Radar for Ground-Based Differential Interferometry. Boston: IGARSS.Google Scholar
- Yu, K., Sharp, I., and Guo, Y. J., 2009. Ground-Based Wireless Positioning. West Sussex: Wiley.Google Scholar