Brazil, Coral Reefs
- Zelinda M. A. N. LeãoAffiliated withGeophysics and Geology Research Center, Geosciences Institute Federal University of Bahia
- , Ruy K. P. KikuchiAffiliated withGeophysics and Geology Research Center, Geosciences Institute Federal University of Bahia
Coral Reefs of the Southwestern Atlantic
Brazil: The largest country in the South American continent, with an area of 8,512,000 km2 and a coastal zone that extends for approximately 9,200 km.
Brazilian coral reefs: The southernmost reefs of the Western Atlantic Ocean.
French biologist Jacques Laborel (1969, 1970) published the first comprehensive description of the Brazilian reefs. Earlier nineteenth century reports by visiting scientists such as Darwin (1851), Hartt (1868a, b, 1870), and Rathbun (1876, 1878) described the unusual characteristics of the Brazilian reefs: their almost unique mushroom-like growth forms (chapeirão) and the strong endemism and low diversity of the coral fauna. Interest in the studies of Brazilian reefs has increased over the last two decades for several reasons: an increasing number of Brazilian researchers have been studying reefs; reef areas have become increasingly degraded; and Brazilian reefs hav ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Brazil, Coral Reefs
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Modern Coral Reefs
- Reference Work Subtitle
- Structure, Form and Process
- pp 168-172
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- David Hopley (8)
- Editor Affiliations
- 8. James Cook University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Geophysics and Geology Research Center, Geosciences Institute Federal University of Bahia, Rua Barão de Jeremoabo s/n, Campus Universitário de Ondina, 40170-115, Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
- 2. Geophysics and Geology Research Center, Geosciences Institute Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, 40170-115, Bahia, Brazil
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.