- 5 Downloads
A diagnostic description of the genus is given with special emphasis on the occurrence of succulence amongst its species. The geographical distribution is outlined, together with a selection of important literature, and an explanation of the etymology of the name. This is followed by a short summary of its position in the phylogeny of the family and of the past and present classification in a phylogenetic context. The succulent features present amongst the species of the genus are shortly explained as to morphology and anatomy.
This is followed by a synoptical treatment of the succulent species of the genus, complete with typification details, full synonymy, geographical and ecological data, a diagnostic description, and, where applicable, notes on phylogenetic placement and relationships, as well as economic and/or horticultural importance.
- Davis, C. & Evans, T. M. (2009) An examination of speciation, extinction, and evolutionary relationships in plants from two continents. Allendale (US): Grand Valley State University, Student Summer Scholars, Paper 34. http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/sss/34
- Evans, T. M. [& al. 2003], Sytsma, K. J., Faden, R. B. & Givnish, T. J. (2003) Phylogenetic relationships in the Commelinaceae: II. A cladistic analysis of rbcL sequences and morphology. Syst. Bot. 28(2): 270–292. https://doi.org/10.1043/0363-6445-28.2.270.
- Faden, R. B. (1991) The morphology and taxonomy of Aneilema R. Brown (Commelinaceae). Smithsonian Contr. Bot. 76: 166 pp., ills., keys, maps. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.0081024X.76.
- Faden, R. B. (2012) Commelinaceae. In: Beentje, H. J. (ed.): Flora of Tropical East Africa. Richmond (GB): Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, on behalf of the East African Governments.Google Scholar
- Lebrun, J.-P. & Stork, A. L. (2012) Tropical African flowering plants. Ecology and distribution. Volume 7: Monocotyledons 1 (Limnocharitaceae - Agavaceae). Genève (CH): Ville de Genève, Éditions des Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques.Google Scholar
- Obermeyer, A. A. & Faden, R. B. (1985) Commelinaceae. In: Leistner, O. A. (ed.): Flora of southern Africa, Volume 4, Part 2; pp. 23–60, ills., keys. Pretoria (ZA): Botanical Research Institute.Google Scholar