Industrial Product-Service System
An industrial product-service system (IPS2) is characterized by the integrated and mutually determined planning, development, provision, and use of products and services including immanent software. IPS2 are offered in business-to-business markets; they address industrial applications only. An IPS2 represents a knowledge-intensive socio-technical system (Meier et al. 2010).
An IPS2 is a customized solution, which comprises products, services, and immanent software in an integrated manner in order to deliver a particular value instead of a pure functionality to industrial customers. Hence, an IPS2 aims at replacing product-focused business strategies by use-oriented strategies. Consequently, all physical and nonphysical components of IPS2need to be planned, developed, and operated together, considering all...
- Fitzsimmons MJ, Fitzsimmons JA (2006) Service management. Operations, strategy, and information technology, 5th edn. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Goedkoop M, van Halen C, Te Riele H, Rommens P (1999) Product-service systems – ecological and economic basis. Report for the Dutch ministries of environment and economic affairsGoogle Scholar
- Meier H, Boßlau M (2012) Dynamic business models for industrial product-service systems. In: Proceedings of the 30th international conference of the system dynamics society, 13th PhD Colloquium, Plenary Session. St. Gallen, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Müller P, Stark R (2010) A generic PSS development process model based on theory and an empirical study. In: Marjanović D, Štorga M, Pavkovic N, Bojcetic N (eds) Design 2010. Proceedings of the 11th International Design Conference, Dubrovnik, 17–20 May 2010. Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of ZagrebGoogle Scholar
- Rese M, Meier H, Gesing J, Boßlau M (2012) An ontology of business models for industrial product-service systems. In: Shimomura Y, Kimita K (eds) The philosopher’s stone for sustainability. Proceedings of the 4th CIRP international conference on industrial product-service systems, Tokyo, 8–9 Nov 2012. Springer, Berlin, pp 191–196Google Scholar
- Shimomura Y, Akasaka F (2013) Toward product-service system engineering: new system engineering for PSS utilization. In: Meier H (ed) Product-service integration for sustainable solutions. Proceedings of the 5th CIRP international conference on industrial product-service systems, Bochum, 14–15 Mar 2013. Springer, Berlin/Heidelberg, pp 27–40Google Scholar