Cutting Force Modeling
- 137 Downloads
- Cutting Force
Is a force that is generated by the cutting tool as it machines the workpiece. It can be divided into primary and secondary cutting forces.
- Primary Cutting Force
Is a cutting force that is directly generated by the relative motion of the cutting tool with respect to the workpiece during machining. It occurs in the same direction as cutting tool movement.
- Secondary Cutting Force
Is a cutting force that is generated in response to primary cutting forces, for example, vibrations during the machining.
- Cutting Forces Modeling
The mathematical representation of a machining process in order to study the effects of varying process parameters on the cutting forces.
Theory and Application
Machining is a process of chip formation. Although the final purpose is to obtain a determined form and shape from the cutting of the material, this has to be done by creating defined chips. Thus machining is a process in which the...
KeywordsRadial Cutting Force Component Chip Section Press Cuttings Rake Angle Workpiece
- Bawa HS (2004) Manufacturing processes I. Tata McGraw-Hill (TMH) Education, NoidaGoogle Scholar
- Black SC, Chiles V, Lissaman AJ, Martin SJ (1996) Principles of engineering manufacture, 3rd edn. Butterworth-Heinemann, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Ceretti E, Attanasio A, Giardini C, Filice L, Rizzuti S, Umbrello D (2008) Evaluation of accuracy in 2D and 3D simulation of orthogonal cutting processes. In: Proceedings of 11th CIRP Conference on modeling of machining operations, Gaithersburg, 16–17 Sept 2008, p 63Google Scholar
- Groover MP (2010) Fundamentals of modern manufacturing: materials, processes, and systems, 4th edn. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Marinov V (2010) Manufacturing technology. Lecture notes. Eastern Mediterranean University – Mechanical Engineering Department, pp 71–73. http://me.emu.edu.tr/me364/ME364_cutting_forces.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2013
- Merchant ME (1944) Basic mechanics of metal cutting processes. ASME Trans J Appl Mech 11:168–175Google Scholar
- Santochi M, Giusti F (2000) Tecnologia meccanica e studi di fabbricazione [Mechanical technology and manufacturing fundamentals]. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Rozzano. (in Italian)Google Scholar