Elderly Face No Added Risk from Cosmetic Surgery
The proportion of elderly patients in North America is increasing. As aesthetic procedures become less invasive and more available to the general public, more elderly patients are undergoing cosmetic surgery. With this increase in the number of elderly patients undergoing cosmetic surgery, there is a pressing need for a detailed evaluation of safety of aesthetic surgery in this population. Current chapter provides comprehensive review of available surgical literature on safety of cosmetic procedures in patients of advanced age. Specifically, the role of elderly person in contemporary society, the demand for aesthetic surgery among older individuals, factors associated with safety of cosmetic procedures, and review of major adverse outcomes among elderly cosmetic patients are discussed in details.
KeywordsHyaluronic Acid Botulinum Toxin Elderly Person Cosmetic Surgery Aesthetic Surgery
- 1.World Health Organization website. http://www.who.int. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 2.“Definition of an older or elderly person.” World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 3.US Department of Health and Human Services. Aging statistics. http://www.aoa.acl.gov/Aging_Statistics/index.aspx. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 4.U.S. Census Bureau. International database. http://www.census.gov/population/www/projections/natdet-D1A.html. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 5.Kinsella K, Velkoff V. U.S. Census Bureau. An Aging World: 2001. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2001; series P95/01-1.Google Scholar
- 6.“Public health and aging: trends in aging – United States and Worldwide.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5206a2.htm. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 8.Jacobsen L, Kent M, Lee M, Mather M. America’s aging population, vol. 66. 1st ed. Washington, DC: Population Reference Bureau; 2011.Google Scholar
- 10.Havighurst RJ, Albrecht R. Older people. New York: Longmans Green and Company; 1953.Google Scholar
- 11.Riley M, Foner A. Aging and society, An inventory of research findings, vol. 1. New York: Russell Sage Foundate; 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.2014 National totals for cosmetic Procedures. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). www.surgery.org Accessed 12 Mar 2015.
- 16.Yeslev M, Gupta V, Winocour J, Shack RB, Grotting JC, Higdon KK (2015) Safety of cosmetic procedures in elderly and octogenarian patients. Aesthet Surg J. Published online April 2015Google Scholar
- 17.www.cosmetassure.com. Accessed 12 Mar 2015.