Pressure Measurements, Methods
- Barbaros CetinAffiliated withMechanical Engineering Department, Bilkent University Email author
- , Serdar TazeAffiliated withMechanical Engineering Department, Bilkent University
- , Dongqing LiAffiliated withDepartment of Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
Experimentation and novel measurement techniques are crucial for the further development of microfluidic devices. Pressure is one basic parameter involved in microfluidic experiments. However, it is not realistic to apply the conventional pressure measurement techniques to microsystems, since the characteristic dimension of these measurement instruments is already comparable with the size of the microdevices. Therefore, novel pressure measurement methods are needed for pressure measurement at the microscale.
By the use of the conventional sensors, it is not practical to measure the pressure inside the micro- and nanochannels, since it is very difficult or impossible to implement these relatively bulky (compared to the microsystem dimensions) sensors to microsystems without disturbing the flow field. Therefore, some novel methods are demanded for pressure measurement at the microscale.
The common practice to meas ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
Date: 2014 (Latest)History
- 2014 (Latest)
- Pressure Measurements, Methods
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
- pp 1-8
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Dongqing Li (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. VU Station B 351592, Vanderbilt University Dept. Mechanical Engineering
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Mechanical Engineering Department, Bilkent University, EA-124 Bilkent, 06800, Ankara, Turkey
- 3. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, N2L 3G1, Waterloo, ON, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.