Combinatorial Transcription Factor Codes and Neuron Specification
- Douglas W. AllanAffiliated withDepartment of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, University of British Columbia
Transcription factor codes; Combinatorial action of transcription factors; Neuronal determination; Neuronal differentiation
Cellular definition. i) A combination of transcription factors that is required together to activate or repress a certain gene in a certain cell. ii) A combination of transcription factors that is required together to execute a neuron’s distinct differentiation program.
Developmental definition. i) The difference in the combination of transcription factors, between neurons, that accounts for their distinct gene expression profiles. ii) A spatial or temporal transition in transcription factor expression that confers a distinct program of neuronal differentiation or gene expression.
The nervous system contains many different types of neurons, whose differences ultimately ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Combinatorial Transcription Factor Codes and Neuron Specification
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Neuroscience
- pp 803-807
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag GmbH Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physiology & Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine
- 2. Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Graduate School of Medicine University of Tokyo Hongo
- Douglas W. Allan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.