Delirium as a Palliative Care Emergency
This chapter considers delirium in the context of a palliative care emergency. It reviews screening for delirium, tools to confirm the clinical diagnosis of delirium, and diagnostic challenges. It describes both the nonpharmacological and pharmacological management of delirium. It also reviews the delirium experience and associated distress. It concludes with a brief discussion of the role of palliative sedation for refractory delirium at the end of life.
- Agar MR, Lawlor PG, Quinn S, Draper B, Caplan G, Rowett D, et al. Efficacy of oral risperidone, haloperidol, or placebo for symptoms of delirium among patients in palliative care: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:34–42. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.7491.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, text revision. 4th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.Google Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2013.Google Scholar
- Bellelli G, Morandi A, Di Santo SG, Mazzone A, Cherubini A, Mossello E, et al. “Delirium day”: a nationwide point prevalence study of delirium in older hospitalized patients using an easy standardized diagnostic tool. BMC Med. 2016;14:106. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-016-0649-8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Beller EM, van Driel ML, McGregor L, Truong S, Mitchell G. Palliative pharmacological sedation for terminally ill adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;CD010206. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010206.pub2
- Canadian Coalition for Seniors’ Mental Health. Guideline on the assessment and treatment of delirium in older adults at the end of life. Toronto: Canadian Coalition for Seniors’ Mental Health; 2010.Google Scholar
- Candy B, Jackson Kenneth C, Jones L, Leurent B, Tookman A, King M. Drug therapy for delirium in terminally ill adult patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;CD004770. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004770.pub2
- de la Cruz M, Ransing V, Yennu S, Wu J, Liu D, Reddy A, et al. The frequency, characteristics, and outcomes among cancer patients with delirium admitted to an acute palliative care unit. Oncologist. 2015b;20:1425–31. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2015-0115.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gaudreau JD, Gagnon P, Harel F, Roy MA. Impact on delirium detection of using a sensitive instrument integrated into clinical practice. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2005;27:194–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2005.01.002.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hu MI, Glezerman IG, Leboulleux S, Insogna K, Gucalp R, Misiorowski W, Yu B, Zorsky P, Tosi D, Bessudo A, Jaccard A, Tonini G, Ying W, Braun A, Jain RK. Denosumab for treatment of hypercalcemia of malignancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014;99:3144–52. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2014-1001.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hui D, dos Santos R, Reddy S, Nascimento M, Zhukovsky DS, Paiva CE, et al. Acute symptomatic complications among patients with advanced cancer admitted to acute palliative care units: a prospective observational study. Palliat Med. 2015;29:826–33. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216315583031.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Leentjens AFG, Rundell J, Rummans T, Shim JJ, Oldham R, Peterson L, et al. Delirium: an evidence-based medicine (EBM) monograph for psychosomatic medicine practice, commissioned by the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine (APM) and the European Association of Consultation Liaison Psychiatry and Psychosomatics (EACLPP). J Psychosom Res. 2012;73:149–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.05.009.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marcantonio ER, Ngo LH, O’Connor M, Jones RN, Crane PK, Metzger ED, et al. 3D-CAM: derivation and validation of a 3-minute diagnostic interview for CAM-defined delirium: a cross-sectional diagnostic test study. Ann Intern Med. 2014;161:554–61. https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-0865.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morandi A, Pandharipande P, Trabucchi M, Rozzini R, Mistraletti G, Trompeo AC, et al. Understanding international differences in terminology for delirium and other types of acute brain dysfunction in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:1907–15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-008-1177-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Delirium: diagnosis, prevention and management. Clinical guideline 103. 2010. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG103. Accessed 2 May 2017.
- Oxford University Press. Oxford dictionary. 2017. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/medical_emergency. Accessed 22 Mar 2017.
- Pendlebury S, Lovett N, Smith S, Dutta N, Bendon C, Lloyd-Lavery A, et al. Observational, longitudinal study of delirium in consecutive unselected acute medical admissions: age-specific rates and associated factors, mortality and re-admission. BMJ Open. 2015;5:e007808. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-007808.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sands MB, Dantoc BP, Hartshorn A, Ryan C, Lujic S. Single question in delirium (SQiD): testing its efficacy against psychiatrist interview, the confusion assessment method and the memorial delirium assessment scale. Palliat Med. 2010;24:561–5. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216310371556.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Siddiqi N, Harrison JK, Clegg A, Teale EA, Young J, Taylor J, et al. Interventions for preventing delirium in hospitalised non-ICU patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;CD005563. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005563.pub3
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. WRHA policy number: 110.000.200: advance care planning – goals of care. 2011. http://www.wrha.mb.ca/index.php. Accessed 2 May 2017.
- World Health Organization. The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. 1992. http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/bluebook.pdf. Accessed 3 May 2017.