This chapter outlines how health professionals may best prevent, recognize, assess, manage, and support people with palliative diagnoses who are at risk of delirium and their families, according to best evidence and the circumstances, needs, and wishes of the person. The chapter also presents evidence-practice gaps in delirium care in palliative contexts and briefly outlines future directions for research and clinical practice development.
- Australian Commission on Quality and Safety of Healthcare. Safe and high-quality care for patients with cognitive impairment. 2015 [cited 4th Jun 2015]; Available from: http://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/cognitive-impairment/.
- Australian Commission on Quality and Safety of Healthcare. Delirium Clinical Care Standard. 2017 [cited 20 Mar 2017]; Available from: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/clinical-care-standards/delirium-clinical-care-standard/.
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. Evidence for the safety and quality issues associated with the care of patients with cognitive impairment in acute care settings: a rapid review. Sydney: ACSQHC; 2013.Google Scholar
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. A better way to care: safe and high-quality care for patients with cognitive impairment (dementia and delirium) in hospital – actions for clinicians. Sydney: ACSQHC; 2014.Google Scholar
- Beller EM, et al. Palliative pharmacological sedation for terminally ill adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;1:CD010206. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010206.pub2.
- Boodman SG. The overlooked danger of delirium in hospitals. 2015. TheAtlantic.com.
- Canadian Coalition for Seniors’ Mental Health. Guideline on the assessment and treatment of delirium in older adults at the end of life. Toronto: Canadian Coalition for Seniors’ Mental Health (CCSMH); 2010.Google Scholar
- Cicely Saunders Institute, Palliative care outcome scale. 2012.Google Scholar
- Clinical Epidemiology and Health Service Evaluation Unit Melbourne Health. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of delirium in older people. Melbourne: Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council; 2006.Google Scholar
- Hospital Elder Life Program. Confusion Assessment Method (Short CAM). 2015 [cited 24 May 2015]; Available from: http://www.hospitalelderlifeprogram.org/delirium-instruments/short-cam/.
- Leventhal M, et al. Stress experienced in caring for patients with delirium in a university orthopedic and trauma surgery center. In: 8th Annual Meeting of the European Delirium Association. Leuven: European Delirium Association; 2013.Google Scholar
- Lonergan E, Luxenberg J, Areosa Sastre A. Benzodiazepines for delirium. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006379.pub3.
- McLullich, A. The 4AT – a rapid assessment test for delirium. 2014 [cited 18 Mar 2015]; Available from: http://www.the4at.com/.
- National Clinical Guideline Centre for Acute and Chronic Conditions. Delirium: diagnosis, prevention and management, NICE clinical guideline 103. 2010. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg103.
- Palliative Care Expert Group. Therapeutic guidelines: palliative care (version 4). Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Ltd; 2016.Google Scholar
- Palliative Care Outcomes Collaborative. 2014 [cited 19 May 2015]; Available from: http://ahsri.uow.edu.au/pcoc/about/index.html.
- Siddiqi N, et al. Interventions for preventing delirium in hospitalised non-ICU patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;11(3):CD005563. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005563.pub3.
- Teodorczuk A, et al. Patient experience of delirium – teaching video. 2011. 27 Jun 2014 Available from: http://www.europeandeliriumassociation.com/delirium-information/health-professionals/patient-experience-of-delirium-teaching-video/.
- Virdun C, et al. Dying in the hospital setting: a systematic review of quantitative studies identifying the elements of end-of-life care that patients and their families rank as being most important. Palliat Med. 2015;29(9):774–96. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216315583032.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar