Financial Aspects of Outpatient Palliative Care
Community-based palliative care has become the focus of palliative care’s growth and opportunity. Twelve of the largest randomized control trials on palliative care are community-based and result in equal or greater survival, positive satisfaction from patients and caregivers, and equal or less cost. Surprisingly, sometimes the business case is the easiest to make (Cassel et al. 2015). With health care financing that embraces value-based programs, such as serious-illness care models, shared savings, bundled payments, and global budget revenues, community-based palliative care shows great promise and may be part of the solution to provide better care for patients at an affordable cost. Some key obstacles include a shortage of practitioners and the necessity to perform as a public health system instead of a revenue-generating center. We provide examples of some successful programs that are reproducible.
- Alesi ER, Fletcher D, Muir C, Beveridge R, Smith TJ. Palliative care and oncology partnerships in real practice. Oncology (Williston Park). 2011;25(13):1287–90, 1292–3.Google Scholar
- Ferrell BR TJ, Temin S, Alesi ER, Balboni TA, Basch E, Firn J, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Phillips T, Strasser F, Zimmermann C, Smith TJ. The integration of palliative care into standard oncology care: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline update. J Clin Oncol. 2016. ePub ahead of print.Google Scholar
- Ferrell BR, Temel JS, Temin S, Alesi ER, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Firn JI, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Phillips T, Stovall EL, Zimmermann C, Smith TJ. Integration of palliative care into standard oncology care: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline update. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(1):96–112. Epub 2016 Oct 28. Review. PMID: 28034065.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gagnon B, Nadeau L, Scott S, Dumont S, MacDonald N, Aubin M, Mayo N. The Association Between Home Palliative Care Services and Quality of End-of-Life Care Indicators in the Province of Québec. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;50(1):48–58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.12.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gomes B, Calanzani N, Curiale V, McCrone P, Higginson IJ. Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of home palliative care services for adults with advanced illness and their caregivers. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2013b; Issue 6, pp 13–33. Art. No.: CD007760. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007760.pub2.
- Hoek PD, Schers HJ, Bronkhorst EM, Vissers KCP, Hasselaar JGJ. The effect of weekly specialist palliative care teleconsultations in patients with advanced cancer -a randomized clinical trial. BMC Med. 2017;15(1):119. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0866-9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Isenberg SR, Lu C, McQuade J, Chan KKW, Gill N, Cardamone M, Torto D, Langbaum T, Razzak R, Smith TJ. Impact of a new palliative care program on health system finances: an analysis of the Palliative Care Program Inpatient Unit and Consultations at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. J Oncol Pract. 2017;13(5):e421–30. https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2016.014860. Epub 2017 Feb 28. PMID: 28245147.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Jang RW, Krzyzanowska MK, Zimmermann C, Taback N, Alibhai SM. Palliative care and the aggressiveness of end-of-life care in patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015;107(3). https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/dju424. Print 2015 Mar. pii: dju424.
- Kerr K, Cassel JB, Rabow MW, et al., for California Health Care Foundation. Uneven terrain: mapping palliative care need and supply in California. 2015. www.chcf.org/publications/2015/02/palliative-care-data. Last accessed 30 Oct 2017.
- Levy M, Smith T, Alvarez-Perez A, Back A, Baker JN, Beck AC, Block S, Dalal S, Dans M, Fitch TR, Kapo J, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Misra S, Mitchell W, Portman DG, Sauer TM, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Szmuilowicz E, Taylor RM, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Weinstein E, Zachariah F, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. Palliative care version 1.2016. J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2016;14(1):82–113. PMID: 26733557.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Luckett T, Davidson PM, Lam L, Phillips J, Currow DC, Agar M. Do community specialist palliative care services that provide home nursing increase rates of home death for people with life-limiting illnesses? A systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative studies. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2013;45:279–97.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Majithia N, Smith TJ, Coyne PJ, Abdi S, Pachman DR, Lachance D, Shelerud R, Cheville A, Basford JR, Farley D, O’Neill C, Ruddy KJ, Sparadeo F, Beutler A, Loprinzi CL. Scrambler therapy for the management of chronic pain. Support Care Cancer. 2016;24(6):2807–14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3177-3. Epub 2016 Apr 4.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Muir JC, Scheffey C, Young HM, Vilches AO, Davis MS, Connor SR. Opioid prescribing practices before and after initiation of palliative care in outpatients. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2013;45(6):1107–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2012.06.006. Epub 2012 Sep 25. PMID: 23017605.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Obermeyer Z, Makar M, Abujaber S, Dominici F, Block S, Cutler DM. Association between the Medicare hospice benefit and health care utilization and costs for patients with poor-prognosis cancer. JAMA. 2014;312(18):1888–96. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.14950.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Scheffey C, Kestenbaum MG, Wachterman MW, Connor SR, Fine PG, Davis MS, Muir JC. Clinic-based outpatient palliative care before hospice is associated with longer hospice length of service. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2014;48(4):532–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2013.10.017. Epub 2014 Mar 27. PMID: 24680626.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Scibetta C, Kerr K, Mcguire J3, Rabow MW. The costs of waiting: implications of the timing of palliative care consultation among a cohort of decedents at a comprehensive cancer center. J Palliat Med. 2016;19(1):69–75. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2015.0119. Epub 2015 Nov 30.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Seow H, Brazil K, Barbera L, Sussman J, Pereira J, Marshall D, Husain A, Austin P. The effectiveness of palliative care expert-consult teams. Toronto: Focus on the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care (TLCPC) Team; 2013.Google Scholar
- Statistics. NCfH: Health, United States, 2010: with special feature on death and dying. CDC.gov; 2010.Google Scholar
- Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care. History of the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care. In: Sinai Health System (ed) 2015. http://www.tlcpc.org/tlcpc/history. Accessed May 30, 2018.