A nonprofit corporation founded to define transaction processing and database benchmarks and to disseminate objective, verifiable TPC performance data to the industry.
Originally formed in 1988, the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC) is a nonprofit corporation focused on defining database processing benchmarks and disseminating objective, verifiable performance data to the IT industry. The TPC was originally founded in response to a growing trend at the time, known as “benchmarketing.” Effectively, this was a common practice of vendors publishing unverifiable claims based on their own price and performance data in order to present their systems in the best possible way to improve the market’s perception of their product.
“Benchmarketing” effectively enabled vendors to exaggerate performance and even reliability claims in order to boost sales. The need for a...
- Hogan T (2009) Overview of TPC benchmark E: the next generation of OLTP benchmarks. In: Nambiar R, Poess M (eds) Performance evaluation and benchmarking: LNCS, vol 5895. Springer ISBN 978-3-\break 642-10423Google Scholar
- Nambiar R, Poess M(2006) The making of TPC-DS. VLDB. pp 1049–1058Google Scholar
- Poess M, Smith B, Kollár L, Larson PÅ (2002) TPC-DS, taking decision support benchmarking to the next level. In: SIGMOD conference 2002, pp 582–587Google Scholar
- Poess M, Nambiar RO, Walrath D (2007) Why you should run TPC-DS: a workload analysis. VLDB. pp 1138–1149Google Scholar
- Poess M, Rabl T, Jacobsen H-A (2017) Analysis of TPC-DS: the first standard benchmark for SQL-based big data systems. SoCC. pp 573–585Google Scholar
- Poess M, Nambiar R, Kulkarniy K, Narasimhadevaray C, Rabl T, Jacobsen H-A (2018)Analysis of TPCx-IoT: the first industry standard benchmark for IoT gateway systems. ICDEGoogle Scholar
- Poess M, Rabl T, Jacobsen H-A, Caufield B (2014) TPC-DI: the first industry benchmark for data integration. PVLDB 7(13):1367–1378Google Scholar
- Raab F (1993) TPC-C – the standard benchmark for online transaction processing (OLTP). In: The benchmark handbookGoogle Scholar
- TPC Transaction processing performance council homepage, in http://www.tpc.org
- TPC TPC policies in http://www.tpc.org/tpc_documents_current_versions/current_specifications.asp