Management of Arterial Bleeding in Critically Ill Cancer Patients
Acute major arterial bleeding complications are rare in cancer patients but can be fatal. Bleeding is usually related to the advanced malignancy or occurs as a consequence of the cancer treatment. Large tumor size and location of the tumor in close proximity to a large artery are risk factors for major bleeding complications. Prompt diagnosis and treatment is paramount in the management of acute major hemorrhage. Treatment begins with volume and blood resuscitation, followed by timely intervention to control the bleeding. This chapter provides an overview of the current management of arterial bleeding with the primary focus on patients with solid tumors during and after oncologic treatment.
KeywordsArtery Arterial bleeding Hemorrhage Blowout Cancer Malignancy Tumor Oncology Blood loss Pseudoaneurysm Aorto-enteric fistula
- 1.Barkun AN, Bardou M, Kuipers EJ, Sung J, Hunt RH, Martel M, Sinclair P, International Consensus Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding Conference Group. International consensus recommendations on the management of patients with nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152(2):101–13.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Cartoni C, Niscola P, Breccia M, Brunetti G, D'Elia GM, Giovannini M, Romani C, Scaramucci L, Tendas A, Cupelli L, de Fabritiis P, Foa R, Mandelli F.Hemorrhagic complications in patients with advanced hematological malignancies followed at home: an Italian experience. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;50(3):387–91.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Sandler AB, Schiller JH, Gray R, Dimery I, Brahmer J, Samant M, Wang LI, Johnson DH. Retrospective evaluation of the clinical and radiographic risk factors associated with severe pulmonary hemorrhage in first-line advanced, unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer treated with Carboplatin and Paclitaxel plus bevacizumab. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(9):1405–12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Wandt H, Schaefer-Eckart K, Wendelin K, Pilz B, Wilhelm M, Thalheimer M, Mahlknecht U, Ho A, Schaich M, Kramer M, Kaufmann M, Leimer L, Schwerdtfeger R, Conradi R, Dolken G, Klenner A, Hanel M, Herbst R, Junghanss C, Ehninger G, Study Alliance L. Therapeutic platelet transfusion versus routine prophylactic transfusion in patients with haematological malignancies: an open-label, multicentre, randomised study. Lancet. 2012;380(9850):1309–16.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Wong DJY, Donaldson C, Lai LT, Coleman A, Giddings C, Slater LA, Chandra RV. Safety and effectiveness of endovascular embolization or stent-graft reconstruction for treatment of acute carotid blowout syndrome in patients with head and neck cancer: case series and systematic review of observational studies. Head Neck. 2018;40(4):846–54.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Zakai NA, Walker RF, MacLehose RF, Adam TJ, Alonso A, Lutsey PL. Impact of anticoagulant choice on hospitalized bleeding risk when treating cancer-associated venous thromboembolism. J Thromb Haemost. 2018 Dec;16(12):2403–2412. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14303. Epub 2018 Oct 24.