The process for ending the operation of a mine.
Protect public health and safety.
Alleviate or eliminate environmental damage.
Achieve a productive use of the land or a return to its original condition or an acceptable alternative.
To the extent achievable, provide for sustainability of social and economic benefits resulting from mine development and operations.
Mine Closure for Active and Abandoned Mines
It may seem counterintuitive to consider closure during the development and opening of a mine. But there are several...
- Australian Government (2016) Mine closure completion handbook. Leading practice sustainable development program for the mining industry. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, p 121. https://industry.gov.au/resource/Documents/LPSDP/LPSDP-MineClosureCompletionHandbook.pdf. Accessed 29 Aug 2017
- BLM (2017) Introduction – extent of the problem. In: Abandoned Mines.gov. U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Washington, DC. http://www.abandonedmines.gov/extent_of_the_problem. Accessed 29 Aug 2017
- De Graff JV (2007) Addressing the toxic legacy of abandoned mines on public land in the Western United States. In: De Graff JV (ed) Understanding and responding to hazardous substances at mine sites in the Western United States, Reviews in engineering geology, vol 17. Geological Society of America, Boulder, pp 1–8Google Scholar
- De Graff JV, Rogow M, Trainor P (2007) Approaches to contamination at mercury mill sites: examples from California and Idaho. In: De Graff JV (ed) Understanding and responding to hazardous substances at mine sites in the Western United States, Reviews in engineering geology, vol 17. Geological Society of America, Boulder, pp 115–134Google Scholar
- ICMM (2008) Planning for integrated mine closure: toolkit. In: International council on mining and metals, London. https://www.icmm.com/website/publications/pdfs/310.pdf. Accessed 29 Aug 2017
- Robertson A, Shaw S (2006) Mine closure. In: Infomine E-Book, 2nd edn. http://www.infomine.com/library/publications/docs/E-Book%2002%20Mine%20Closure.pdf. Accessed 29 Aug 2017